Chapter 9

“Well come in, all of you,” Richie stepped aside, “Make yourselves at home and yes, Franco, we have candy. Same place as always.”

I grinned then turned down the happy when I noticed Louis give me an amused glance.

“Candy?” Michael perked up.

Richie laughed, “Like father, like son.”

I huffed and ushered Michael and Louis into the living room before going to the kitchen and getting out an unopened bag of mini snicker bars. I came back and settled on the couch next to Michael before digging in and offering some to Michael and Louis. Michael grabbed one happily while Louis shook his head with a disgusted frown. He was really out of touch with his inner kid. My mom and Richie talked among themselves about me and Michael as if we weren’t right there.

Suddenly, my mom went and asked, “Franco, have you and Michael eaten lunch?”

We both froze mid-chew and stared at her like a deer caught in headlights.

She rolled her eyes, “Mijo, really? You’re a father now. You can’t forget to have lunch. Dios mio, this is why I didn’t want you to move out. You haven’t grown up a bit.”

“I’ll make something now,” I pouted.

“You better,” she glared at me.

I grumbled under my breath but sped into the kitchen and started making sandwiches. Sometime during the third sandwich, Tyler, Richie’s husband, walked into the kitchen, yawning. He barely paused when he saw me and went straight to the fridge for a beer. Tyler is Troy’s birth father and, as a result, the two were like carbon copies of each other in appearance and personality.

He said roughly, “Hey, kid, what’re you doing here?”

“My mom dragged me along,” I sighed, “She wanted Richie to meet her grandson.”

“Adrian had a kid?”

“No,” I paused, “I did.”

He did a spit take and bent over coughing. “You?” he asked disbelievingly, “You’ve had a girlfriend?” 

I sighed, “Yes.”

“And you got pass first base?”

I glared at him.

He chuckled, “Okay, no need to be offended. I just can’t believe you weren’t careful enough to avoid fatherhood.”

I shrugged and went back to making sandwiches, “I don’t really know what happen. I thought I was careful.”

Tyler’s joking demeanor fell and his eyes sharpened. They were the same honey brown as his son but wrought with experience and understanding, “Then how do you know he’s your son?”

I shrugged again, “I saw him and realized that he needed a father and I needed something permanent. It wasn’t something that I needed to be sure of to accept. Besides, look at him, you can’t turn away a kid like that unless you’re a heartless bastard.”  

“Right, I got to meet the brat.” This is a man that has four kids and still hates children. He walked into the living room. I took my time cutting the sandwiches into squares before walking in there behind him.

The first thing Tyler said when I walked into the room was, “Are you and Louis fucking?”

That explained why Louis was hiding his face in his hands. I almost dropped the plate I was holding but as soon as the shock passed, I bellowed, “Did you really just say that in front of my son?”