Chapter 16

So hey, you know what? I was bored today and thought I'd write another chapter. Crazy, right? I can't even tell you how shocked I was when I realized I could post another chapter. I mean, I felt really bad about how short the last one was (this one isn't much longer, I'll admit that but it's something).  So yayyyy, new chappie.

Michael's POV

Theo and I sat in front of the school under the old oak tree. It was our usual spot every day after school and we hung out there until daddy came. Theo's mom was already there but since daddy wasn't, Theo stayed to wait with me. I leaned on his shoulder and watched the street for daddy's car when I noticed a man and woman walking up to us.

The woman seemed nervous but sort of excited, her hair shone an unnatural red under the sunlight. The man, on the other hand, was completely indifferent. He strolled along behind her with his hands stuffed into his pockets. As they came closer, I noticed that the woman sort of resembled grandma in a way.

Theo immediately stiffened when they stopped in front of us and glared but their attention wasn't on him. It was on me.

"Hi, Michael," the lady's voice was a bit high-pitched, like she was forcing herself to be cheerful. She smiled, showing pearly white teeth, "I'm a friend of your dad's. It so nice to finally meet you." She opened her arms expectantly.

She seemed nice to me so I hopped up to give her the hug she was hoping for but Theo latched on to my arm and glared at them even harder. I looked back at him questioningly but didn't move to get out of his grip.

"What did you call him?" he asked suspiciously.

"Michael," the lady returned his glare with obvious irritation, "That is his name."

"Sure it is," Theo agreed, "But Franco's friends call him Mikey and I think if you were Franco's friend, you would too."

I froze and looked at the woman with wide eyes. She was frozen solid too and had a look on her face like she was caught doing something wrong. Then she tried to laugh it off.

"Not everyone uses nicknames, sweetie," she told him with a condescending bite.

His eyes narrowed, "Well, not everyone is stupid, darling."

"Listen kid," the guy behind her said gruffly, "Just shut your damn mouth before you get yourself hurt."

Theo shot to his feet and took a protective stance in front of me. He growled, "I'll rip you apart."

The man's eyes widened then darkened with anger, "What did you say, you little-"

"Excuse me," he was interrupted by Marie's shout. She speed walked over and stood beside Theo, totally shielding me from the two strangers. "Can I help you two?"

The woman huffed, her smile dropping completely, "Excuse me, I'm trying to talk to Michael so you can take your son and go."

I could feel Marie's eyebrow rise at her tone, "If you think I'm going to leave Michael with two total strangers then you are sorely mistaken. Now leave before I call the police."

The woman didn't make any move to leave but stood there and glared at Marie harshly, letting her true character come out. It frightened me. She wasn't a nice person at all.

"Kate," the woman jumped and swung around, coming face-to-face with daddy. I had never seen him so angry, his face was completely red while his arms were folded over his chest like a restraint. His expression was hard and unforgiving. "What the hell are you doing here?"