Chapter 18

LOOK! New chapter... Cool... If you see any inconsistencies in the story, please hesitate to comment because all this is pure imagination.

Louis' POV

Franco and I arrived at the court room early Friday morning. Katherine had made it there before us and sat at the plaintiff's desk next her lawyer, a mousy man that fidgeted with bunny teeth gnawing at his chapped lower lip. He acknowledged our entranced with a small nod. Her boyfriend, the apparent thug Marie had spoken of, was sitting in the public seating, watching us enter with a sneer almost as hateful as Katherine's glare. The bailiff and scribe were already in place, watching us impassively. Naturally, this was just another case to them, not something that could turn their entire world around. I guess I would be the same if it didn't even involve the two people that meant the most to me.

Neither parties said a word to each other. Franco didn't even bother making eye contact with his exe. He sat down at the defendant's desk and watched with interest as I set out the information that's most likely going to convince the judge that Franco is a wonderful caretaker. Collecting the information was somehow the most intimate thing I've ever done in a relationship because of how open he was with me. He gave me access to sensitive information without even blinking. He signed whatever I presented him without even looking. He didn't ask a question other than "are you ready for Thursday?" I hadn't thought it was possible to give such explicit trust to someone you were dating.

"All rise," the bailiff interrupted my thoughts. Franco blinked at the shout but rose after I motioned him up. "Judge Malory Taylor residing over the court."

A middle-aged woman in the black robe of a judge emerged from the back and seated herself before us. She was an intimidating figure looking down at us from behind thick black glasses. Her dark brown hair was tied into a strict bun and her lip lifted in a silent sneer. She slammed her mallet down.

"You may be seated." We obeyed quietly and watched her glance over some papers, "Katherine Owens is suing Franco Rodriguez for custody of the nine year old Michael Owens, correct?"

The mousey man stood, "Yes, your honor."

She ignored him. "It says here that Michael was in the custody of his grandmother, who passed away three months ago and by way of will, he was sent to his biological father rather than his mother. Child protection services was not even aware of the change in guardianship."

The man repeated, "Yes, your honor."

"Can the plaintiff explain why the former guardian felt that the defendant was more suited to handle parenthood than the plaintiff?"

"Well, your honor," Katherine's lawyer glanced at the two of us before continuing, "The plaintiff was not accessible at the time and the defendant lived noticeably closer. The plaintiff believes that the former guardian, Leslie Owens, did not want to leave the child in the care of child protection services in case the plaintiff couldn't be contacted for a long period of time."

Judge Taylor nodded at the explanation though her expression was critical, "Can the plaintiff explain why Leslie Owens could not contact her?"

Katherine's lawyer licked his lips nervously, "The plaintiff conceived Michael Owens at a considerably young age and felt unprepared for the stress of parenthood, and therefore, she left her child in the reliable hands of her mother and went abroad to Newcastle to continue her education with relatives. After graduating, the plaintiff wished to travel before settling down. In her travels, she lost contact with her mother."

Judge Taylor's expression became grim, "I see. Now may I ask the defendant a few questions regarding their position in the matter?"

I sprang to my feet, "Yes, your honor."