Chapter 7

Warning: Enough sugary sweetness to make you queasy. I got queasy. And short chapter. I'm also loving your support with this. Thank you.

And not edited. I never edit. After it's typed, it's out there.

Marie roared, “Theodore, get over there and let me take your picture.”

“No,” Theo folded his arms stubbornly, “I don’t want to.”

Theo stiffened as his father asked, “Why not, son?”

“Because,” Theo deflated nervously, “I don’t see what the big deal is. So what Mike suddenly has a dad? He’s just some guy who probably doesn’t even care about him but he’s all Mike talks about. ‘Daddy this,’ ‘daddy that.’ it’s annoying.”

Marie was absolutely seething now.

I snapped out of my shocked daze when I felt tears wet my shirt. Michael was buried on my shoulder, stifling sobs. I rubbed little circles on his back and tried to comfort him but I didn’t know what to say. I was honestly feeling hurt too.

“I’m sorry,” I interrupted Marie’s lecture, “I think we should go. It was nice meeting you.”  

“No, wait, please,” she practically yelled. “Theo, apologize.”

“No, it’s fine,” I said hastily, “Maybe we can talk when Michael is less upset.” I shot a glance at Theo.

The little boy’s eyes widened when they landed on Michael’s trembling shoulders.

“Mike,” Theo said hesitantly, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it.”

Michael just dug himself deeper into my shoulder, sobbing audibly now. I shushed him gently and pressed kisses to his forehead. I felt him hiccup but his sobs were decreasing.

“It’s okay, baby,” I cooed, “He said he didn’t mean it.”

“I just wanted,” hiccup, “Theo,” hiccup, “to like daddy too.”

“I like him,” Theo said quickly, “He’s really nice. I’m sorry, Mike, I didn’t mean to say that. I was just mad because you spend all your time with your dad now. I know he cares about you.”

Jealousy. Of course.

I smiled as Michael emerged from my shoulder, his nose bright red from crying. “I’m sorry,” he sniffled, “I guess I was being a bad friend.”

“No, it’s my fault,” Theo corrected him, his eyes pleading for forgiveness.

Michael wiggled out of my arms and ran to hug Theo. “It’s okay. We’ll start hanging out again like we used to. Promise.”

My heart melted as they clung to each other, Theo still muttering apologies. Marie was clicking away with her camera, not stopping for a second and Lawrence watched on with a soft smile.

“You two are so cute,” Marie cooed, “I could just eat you up.”

Theo tore away from Michael, blushing brightly. He whined, “Mom, stop.”

“No, you two are just too precious,” she took another picture and grinned at me, “Mr. Rodriguez, we are going to dinner, our treat. I will not accept rejection. We need to celebrate.”

“Celebrate what?” I asked.

“Life, dear Franco,” she exclaimed, “There is so much to be grateful for.”

After I thought about it, I agreed. I had everything to be grateful for.

I did tried to insist on paying for me and Michael but my every word fell on deaf ears. She led us to a suave restaurant that they seemed to frequent. We were seated as soon as we arrived.

“So Franco,” Marie said conversationally after we ordered, “What do you do for a living?”

“Just an office grunt for Reeds,” I admitted.

“That’s respectable,” she commented, “Are you dating anyone?”

Michael chirped, “He should date Louis.”

“But it’s not going to happen,” I reminded him, “And no, I’ve given up on dating for a while, especially now that I have Michael. I guess it was never for me in the first place.”

“Don’t say that,” she frowned, “You have to give Michael a little brother or sister at some point.”

I looked at her like she grew a second head then sipped my ice tea so I could think of a good reply. I cleared my throat and replied uneasily, “I think it’s a bit soon to be thinking about that. Anyway, what type of work are you involved in?”

Thankfully, she went along with the topic change. “Well I’m a young adult novelist and Lawrence is a neurosurgeon. So what family do you have? Does Michael have any aunts or uncles?”

I nodded, “I have an older brother who lives across the country at the moment. However, I also have three childhood friends who are like brothers to me. Them and their significant others live relatively close.”

“That’s wonderful,” she beamed, “Grandparents?”

“My father passed away when I was eleven but my mother is still the hyperactive woman that she once was. Also, the parents of my friend, Troy, were father figures for me growing up.”

“Figures?” she questioned the plural.

I nodded, “They’re a gay couple.”

Marie said cautiously, “So, just so we’re clear, you are accept and support homosexuality?”

“Of course,” I replied curiously, “Why?”

“Oh, no reason,” she darted a quick glance at Michael, who was coloring his menu with Theo.

“Ah,” I laughed, “Yeah, I’m totally fine with it. As long as it’s love.”

“Thank goodness,” a certain stiffness left her shoulders and I’m sure I saw Lawrence relax too. “It’s not like we know anything for sure but certain behaviors make you think.”

Why was everyone so concerned? Did I look homophobic? I sighed and glanced over at Michael. He was coloring while talking to Theo excitedly. Theo was watching with a quiet smile, his composure fully intact. The kid exuded a quiet confidence that was a lot like his father.

“What are you doing, princess?”

Mikey’s head snapped up, his surprise receded into pride, “I’m coloring the sea. Isn’t it pretty?”

I looked down and saw a bluish-green sea under a golden sunset. You could tell he mixed his simple red, blue, and yellow to create a myriad of shades. “It’s beautiful, Mikey,” I kissed the bridge of his nose, “First acting, and now art? You’re so talented.”

He giggled and kissed my cheek, “Thank you, Daddy.”

Theo watched the exchange, still knee deep in suspicion. Apparently, he still didn’t like me. Well, as long as Mikey was smiling, it didn’t matter if he liked me or not.