Chapter 37

Ally’s face was utterly stoic as what I’d said sunk in. I wasn’t sure what I’d expected, but it certainly wasn’t for her to just sit there looking unshakably still. As time continued to slip away, second by second, I kept expecting her to jump out of her seat in a fury. Or perhaps to cry, babble with fear; to show some sort of strong emotion.

                In the silence, I heard as she pulled in a breath, then released it all in a gust.

                “Will you be the one to kill me?” She asked in a whisper.

                “What?” I choked out as I took in the meaning of her words. “Ally, you’re in danger, but not from me.” She didn’t seem convinced, and as she continued to stare at her clasped hands on her lap, I couldn’t help but reach over to pull her chin up; we were eye to eye. “Look at me, and know that what I’m saying is nothing but the truth. Your life is hanging on the line, but I’ll do everything -and anything- I can to protect you.”

               “How can I even trust you?” She demanded. “You, or anyone else in this facility?”

               “Because I would never lie to you,” I said earnestly. “There are people here in dauntless that are going to be hunting you, and it’s wise that you’d be cautious about trusting anyone, but I’m on your side. You don’t have to be afraid of me. Never me.”

                “If not you, then whom?” She insisted, jerking her chin away from my fingers. “When I took my aptitude test, I was told by the man who administered it that if I was ever found out, I’d be as good as dead. But he didn’t explain to me just why. Tell me Sage, why is being divergent dangerous? Who the hell is after me? And just why do you know so much about all of this? Help me understand.”

                Dropping my hand, I let myself sag a little into my chair. So many questions, all the same I’d also once had. Yet still, after all this time, I’d figured out only so much. Pinching the bridge of my nose, I could already feel the beginnings of a headache starting.

                “Being divergent, among other things, means that you’re a person who’s aware during your simulations. You know that what you’re experiencing isn’t real, and with this knowledge, you’re able to manipulate the program at will. Some who are even stronger have the ability to completely shut it down.”

                “I still don’t understand, how could that be dangerous? It’s just a computer program–”

                “Because it makes you uncontrollable Ally,” I said, snapping my head up to meet her gaze. “It makes you unpredictable. You don’t conform to the way society feels you should act. You’re not a mindless follower, and that’s makes you a risk.”

                I could tell she wanted to argue, to say something, but my words were all the truth. After a pause, Ally sighed and nodded. “Who’s after me?”

                “I don’t know exactly,” I admitted. “But a major player in all of this is Banks. He’s the one you should be most concerned about.”

                “Banks?” She repeated, swallowed loudly. “Our instructor?”

                “The one and only,” I nodded. “He’s a killer, completely cold-blooded. Always very astute about the most minor of details. He… he’s been watching you. Today, you were very lucky.”

                “Lucky? Me?” She gaped. “How on earth could you consider me lucky?”

                “Because if he’d been the one to administer your fear simulation today, by now you’d be strapped down to a metal gurney while he performed all sorts of unspeakable experiments on you,” I grated; my voice shaky with emotion.