Chapter 38

“Remember what I said. Be alert, stay calm, and tell no one of what just happened,” I said as Ally and Iris began to make their way out the door. “As far as anyone knows, nothing is out of order with either of your simulations.”

                They nodded, both looking determined and confident in what I’d just said. After deleting their previous fear simulations and having them go through another –with them reacting as a dauntless member would, instead of someone divergent– I’d told them that I’d do all in my power to help them make it through the rest of initiation.

                “Thanks for the help,” Ally said; a grateful smile on her lips.

                “It’s nothing,” I answered.

                “No, it’s not nothing,” she insisted. “Don’t belittle what you’re doing.”

“You’re taking a lot of risks yourself,” Iris added. “I mean, if Banks found out–”

                “He won’t,” I said with a shrug; unable to muster up the right amount of fear for myself as I probably should. “Besides, risks are kind of my thing.”

                Iris chuckled, and then slowly walked out. Ally was following behind her, but at the doorway she lingered; her expression telling me she wanted to say more. In the end, she must’ve mentally talked herself out of it, because after giving me a shy smile, she also left.

                It’s all going to be okay, they’re going to live, it’s all going to be okay; I assured myself as I fiddled with the computer.

                After uploading and sending all of the initiates’ fear simulations to Banks and the rest of the dauntless leaders, I went about picking up the rest of the room so that it’d be tidy for the following day. I was just about done when I heard the door give the slightest creak.

                “Hey! Look at you, cleaning and putting stuff away like a good kid,” Dan chuckled as he swaggered in and plopped himself down onto the testing chair. “Your mom would be so proud. She never could get you to clean up your room quite this well.”

                “It was organized chaos,” I defended myself with a grin. “I knew where everything was. Anyway, as I recall, we shared that room more often than not, so technically that was also half of your mess.”

                “Mess? I’ll have you know that pile of dirty clothes were actually part of a complex work of art. I called it, Le’ Heap of the Unknown,” he said with a flourish of his hand.

                “Nice cover,” I laughed. “So, what brings you here?”

                “You were taking forever to come to the dining hall, so I figured I’d come find you.”

                “Yeah, I meant to hurry, but things got a little complicated,” I said as I turned to finish shutting down the computer. “I’ll be done in a sec.”

                “No problem,” he said as he adjusted the chair so that it was reclined as far back as possible. “I figured you’d be a while, so I brought a healthy snack.” From his pocket, he pulled out a package of gummy bears and popped a few in his mouth, then held the bag towards me.

                “Healthy?” I repeated with a chuckle as I took a couple.

                “Of course, I mean they have,” he paused to glance at the package, “umm, traces of fruit juice? And xeno-something-or-other… anyway, they’re colorful, and I remember once that an amity nurse told me that a balanced diet has all the colors of the rainbow.” He shook the bag at me. “Mission accomplished, yeah?”