Chapter 23

Two days passed before I could really mentally recover from the horror of what Banks had revealed. During which time I’d gone through the usual actions of training the initiates, but hadn’t really been all there in spirit. Hundreds, he’d said he had hundreds of transmitters ready; and not just for communication, but for complete control. If he ever figured out how to really get the transmitters to work the way he wanted, he’d be unstoppable.

               He’d have an army.

               During the first few minutes I’d been unable to explain the whole situation to Dan, I’d just gone on and on about how things were wrong. Then when I’d eventually gotten my wits together, I’d decided not to give too much away. Not because I didn’t trust him, but because I feared the serums Banks might subject me to.

               What if he eventually created something that resembled the truth serum, only it was far more potent? So potent in fact that I’d be unable to resist it. How would I be able to lie then? All my remaining secrets would be flushed out. No, I couldn’t expose Dan like that. If Randi’s death hadn’t finished me, then Dan’s certainly would. His dying would be the final nail in my proverbial coffin.

               “Just don’t let Banks inject you with anything, and don’t ever be alone with him,” I’d warned Dan. “I can’t tell you more, I don’t want to put you in danger. Just promise me you’ll stay away from him.”

               “Dude, you couldn’t pay me enough to hang out with the guy,” Dan had said, trying to sound playful though I could tell he was edgy. “I just wish you’d explain things, I don’t like all this sneaky-secret crap. I don’t like not knowing what’s going on.”

               “I know, and I’m sorry. But until I have some kind of edge to work with, I can’t tell you,” I’d explained. “Eventually, I’ll tell you everything. But for now, just know that everyone in the compound is on the line.”

               Though I could tell he was frustrated, Dan had nodded and dropped the subject. I’d tried to act as normal as possible, and I thought I’d been doing a good job, but I must’ve been wrong.

               The next day, both Wayne and Jude had mentioned during breakfast that I looked worried. During lunch Grace had pointed out that I looked like I was ready to punch someone. And during dinner Biff had said that if I didn’t cheer up, he was going to sneak up on me and draw a smile on my face with permanent marker.

               “You’re gonna’ turn that frown upside down, whether you like it or not,” he’d chuckled mischievously.

               “Right, and you think I’ll just let you do it?” I’d snorted.

               “I won’t be alone,” Biff had answered. “I’ll have reinforcements. Right Dan?”

               “Correct-o,” Dan had answered, raising his cup of juice to clink against Biff’s; as if he’d just given a toast. “Creative arts are my specialty.”

               I’d rolled my eyes, but secretly kept a close watch on the two of them. I had no doubts that they’d keep their word if they felt like it was warranted. Now, as I excused the initiates for the day, I found myself again stewing about what devious things Banks could be planning to do.

               “Are we doing that bad?” Iris asked, bringing me back from my befuddled thoughts.

               “Huh?” I responded. “Bad?”

               “You’re grimacing,” she pointed out. “Actually, you’ve been scowling since yesterday morning. What’s up? Is it the fights? Are we not doing as well as you thought we’d do?”