Chapter 28

We were like a pack, the dauntless-born and I; each an individual, but together making up a greater whole.

               The steady thump-thump of our heavy footfalls on the ground was the only sound that reverberated throughout the tunnels as we ran. Occasionally, I would catch a hint of someone’s strenuous breathing, but for the most part we were all stealthy as we made our way towards the transfer-initiate’s room.

                Though it was pitch black, we all ran as if we were outside and in broad daylight; confident in our every step. This was our home, and we knew it like the back of our hands. Tonight -though it was hidden in the guise of a game- would hold another important challenge the initiates would have to overcome.

               Even though some might think that capture the flag was done solely for recreational purposes, it actually served a greater cause. With the outcome clear, it would help to separate the leaders from the followers, the clever from the foolhardy, and the determined fighters from the weak-willed quitters.

                At the stroke of midnight, as Banks had ordered, I’d gone to the dauntless-initiates room and raised them from their sleep with the very subtle clanging of a metal flashlight on the frame of their beds. To their credit, they’d only been alarmed for about five seconds before they’d all ran to get in an ordered line. Then, once I’d told them what we were about to do, they’d taken even less time to get ready and follow me out the door.

                Now, as we neared the transfer’s dorm, I slowed down slightly to let Banks take the lead. He had his own flashlight, and with it he did the same. Bursting through the door, he struck the nearest bed over and over as he simultaneously barked out orders.

                “Get up! Everyone, on your feet!” Banks demanded while the flustered initiates scrambled to get in line.

                From behind Banks’ shoulder, I could just make out that Ally was bravely standing a little in front of Mel, who apparently liked to sleep without pants. Dressed only in a baggy shirt that just barely went down past her hips, I could tell she was mortified as her face blushed a deep crimson. Ally’s stance didn’t waiver though, she simply crossed her arms and visibly tried to block Mel from view.

                Somewhere behind me, I distinctly heard Zane give a wolf-whistle when Jade also appeared to be pants-less. Unlike Mel though, Jade simply jutted her hip out and put her hands on her waist, looking bored the entire time.

               “Nice show blondie,” Zane called out, and to that Jade simply flipped him the bird.

               “Well enjoy it, because looking is all you’ll ever get to do,” Jade said in a sarcastically-sweet tone. “Now fuck off perv, before I decide to teach you some manners.”

               Zane looked ready to come back with a cynical remark of his own, but I silenced him with a glare. Dropping his eyes to his feet, I heard Wayne and Felix share a muffled chuckle at the sight. It took only seconds, but when the group of transfers had finally lined up, Banks silenced everyone simply by raising his hand.

               “Listen up, because I’m only saying this once. You have five minutes to get ready and meet us by the train tracks. We’re going to be playing an interesting game,” he said, putting an emphasis on the word interesting so that it sounded menacing.

               With those final words, we all turned and then began running up to the meeting point. While we moved through the dark, I couldn’t help but find myself worrying again. Was Ally behind us right now? Had she gotten ready in time? Was she fast enough to keep up with the group?