Chapter 41

Ally. Why her?

                Without turning, I gripped my key harder and tried again to slip it into the lock. It was to no avail though; growling a curse under my breath, I visibly shuddered as the muscles in my body began to pull taught with aggression. Already, I could feel my heart picking up the tempo, my vision growing hazy at the edges, and my hands instinctively curling into fists. Control, I had to stay in control.

                “Sage, wait!” She was getting closer, her footsteps echoing behind me. In a matter of seconds she’d be within arm’s reach.

                My will is not my own. Need to save her… need to kill her.

                “S-stay back,” I warned through my teeth.

                Head throbbing, blood rising; I could feel myself being pulled back into the state of mindless rage. What was Ally even doing here? This hallway, it was part of my home, and no one was allowed here. I’d run her out, teach her what happened to those who trespassed into my territory. Like those other two victims in the hallway, I’d slaughter her. Maybe then the pain in my head would also go away, maybe then–

                She hesitated, pausing to say something, but the words, they were muddled. Then moments later her footsteps resumed. Why was she getting closer? Did she not feel the danger in the air? Sense that her life was on the line?

                “Damn it Ally,” I snarled. “Leave.”

                She must’ve answered, since I’d distinctly heard the cadence of her voice, but there was no understanding on my part. I wasn’t completely unaware of sound though; my senses were sharpening even as I fought to stay rational. I was so predatorily aware of her position in my hallway even though I hadn’t even turned around. I knew, if I were to swivel now, I’d catch her off guard and she’d have no chance of escape. My mind simultaneously willed her to flee, while also darkly hoped she’d draw nearer.

                Body burning, aching to kill. I could feel a droplet of sweat run down the side of my face and along my neck as I forced myself to stay put, locking my muscles in place. I knew if I was to make any sort of move, it’d be to attack. I couldn’t run away from her now; I didn’t dare release the position I held, all I could do was wait for the wave of fury to ebb.

                With effort, I focused solely on the beating of my heart, willing it to go back to normal. But something was shifting, the new wave of anger taking hold… Kind and considerate, those were a fool’s emotions. I was in my body now, and I felt a strength flow through my limbs, beckoning me to lash out. Sage, the whole personality, was being pushed out of my mind.

                Acid in my veins… Living in my heart. Seeding ire. The bloodlust, I have to–

                The breaking point, I’d reached it. I had to turn, to wrap my hands around that girl’s neck and squeeze until the life left her eyes. The madness in my head, it said that to erase my own pain, I’d have to completely eradicate her existence. Logic, there was none, just a drive to act.

                Practically foaming at the mouth, I was about to twist and ensnare my prey when I felt something warm graze along my back. I stiffened and prepared to retaliate, expecting the touch to be an attack.

                “–angry at me?” A voice questioned.

                It was a hand; small, warm, and surprisingly steady. More murmuring came from behind my back, and I clung to those sounds as if they were a lifeline. I recognized the tone, knew who the voice belonged to. Dizziness was sweeping over me, but surprisingly, I found it easy to ignore when the hand that had been on my back gingerly moved to tug at my wrist; willing me to turn around.