Chapter 21

I hesitated in the doorway for an instant as I remembered what Ava had last  said to me, what she’d warned me would happen if I continued to hang around Ally. But this didn’t count, did it? I mean, it had been a coincidence. How was I supposed to know she’d be in the tattoo shop? It was just an odd twist of fate.

                And while it was true that I’d already made up my mind to rid myself of the strange fascination I had with Ally, it didn’t mean I was going to be rude to her either. Friends, we could be friends couldn’t we? Not anything close like what Dan and I had, but at the very least I could be courteous. It was what any decent person would do.

                You’re bending the rules; I mentally accused myself, but try as I might, I couldn’t seem to stop myself from smiling and joining the pair over by Dan’s table.

                “Whatever he said, I promise it’s not true,” I told Ally jokingly when Dan didn’t answer my previous question.

                “It wasn’t anything bad,” Ally laughed, shaking her head in amusement. The sound was soft, but at the same time crystal clear; like wind chimes being caressed by an invisible breeze.

                “Oh, well in that case, you should always believe what Dan says. I mean, he never lies about anything,” I said quickly; suddenly feeling livelier than I had in days.

                “Oh really?” Ally said with the tiniest of smirks visible on the corner of her lips.

                “Yeah, it’s all true. Especially the part about my incredible wit and unmatched humor,” I said with mock-seriousness.

                “Well, he didn’t mention that,” Ally said as she snuck a peek at Dan.

                I quickly poked him in the ribs, hoping he’d understand to play along. While it made me incredibly nervous to be around Ally, it also had the opposite effect; making me feel as light and at peace as if I’d always been this way, as if I’d never had a dark period when alcohol had been my mistress.

                “Hey, what’d you do that fo–“ Dan began to protest before he caught on. “Oh! Yeah, yeah. Wit and humor, yep, that’s this guy right here.”

                Ally laughed again, noticing my not-so-sneaky nudge.

               For an instant, I felt like a kid my own age; without the burden of hidden secrets and death on my shoulders. I wasn’t the Monster, the fighter, the booze hound, the man people avoided in dark hallways out of fear. I was Sage, just a boy, talking to a girl, trying desperately to be worthy of her friendship.

               Dan noticed my idiotic grin, and when he met my eyes, he gave me a significant look that said; I told you so, she’s good for you. I tried to shake my head subtly, but he merely rolled his eyes in my direction.

                “So, are you the fan?” Ally suddenly asked.

                My lighthearted mood was instantly gone, instead replaced by a cold shock of mortification. No, Dan had not done that to me. He had not gone and spilled his guts to her. Couldn’t he control his candor-inclinations for a few measly minutes? What had he told her?

                “What?” I said, knowing fully well that my face betrayed my shock.

                “Dan told me I had a fan,” Ally answered; a slight frown on her face when she saw my reaction. “Is it you?” She asked again.