Chapter 10

A year ago today, I’d jumped off of a building, through a hole in the ground, and into the net of the dauntless compound. A year ago, I’d been the student learning the ropes, and now I’d be an instructor sharing all the knowledge I had to offer. As I stared my fractured reflection in the mirror, I couldn’t help but feel my stomach twist and turn with suppressed nerves; not of fear, but rather excitement.

               Since my talk with Dan, I’d really been putting in the effort into becoming a good mentor to the future dauntless initiates. When we’d finally left the roof and gone back into the compound, Dan had asked for the day off and had helped me pick up the papers I’d carelessly thrown around. Then, just like we had done countless times when we’d been in school, we had studied the whole day.

               My new job would be fairly simple, and especially so since I’d be in charge of the dauntless-born instead of the transfers. I’d been feeling rather good, that is, until I found out just who would be training the initiates with me. When I found out, I nearly had a panic attack. I felt pity and fear for the future transfers who’d dare to make a mistake, because with Banks as an instructor, they’d surely regret ever having picked this faction.

               Though Banks said that he’d chosen to help train this year’s initiates because he simply wanted to raise the quality of the citizens we accepted into dauntless, I knew he must have other intentions. In his office, during one of his many serum-testing sessions, I brought up the topic. He’d smiled, slow and deviously, and then shaken his head in amusement.

               Of course he wouldn’t’ tell me, but it didn’t stop me from trying to find out more information. With the need to rebel against his cruelty and malice rekindled, I was once again focused and on a mission. I needed to know what exactly it was that he wanted to gain from being so close to the initiates.

               It felt good to have a purpose. Though from what I could see in my splintered mirror, I didn’t necessarily look that much better; my eyes still had circles under them, my hair was overgrown and disheveled, the growth on my chin made me look like a bum, and the scars and still-healing bruises on my body made me appear thug-like. For an instant, I considered taking a pair of scissors and going to town on my hair, but then I decided against it when I remembered the time Mara had left me with a bald spot.

               Maybe a shave? Nah, it’s not that bad; I thought as I ran my hand across my stubble. I figured it at least made me seem more adult-like and mature. Though I already knew most of the dauntless sixteen-year olds who’d be going to the Choosing Ceremony today, I still wanted to be seen as a respectable figure.

               Letting out a nervous breath, I left my apartment and headed to the dining hall. I could hear the buzzing of the people that were wide awake. The halls were crawling with excited dauntless, and I could guess the nature of their chatter by the few words I caught.         

                “Choosing Ceremony today–“

               “–can’t wait, wonder who’ll stay?”

               “How many transfers –this year, do you think?”

               I kept moving forward. Somewhere in the distance I could hear the sound of laughing children, their gleeful squeals filling the air with even more cheerful anticipation. This time, I didn’t try to shut it out; to not hear. I needed the music of their carefree exaltations, I wanted laughter. I didn’t just want blind pessimism anymore.

               Though this world we all lived in was full of lies, ugly, overwhelming, and incredibly cruel, I had to focus on the good. I had to hold onto the scraps of beauty; they were my lifeline now.