Chapter 16

The hallways I walked through were completely void of light, but the utter blackness didn’t bother me; I knew the path well.

               With Grace’s note in hand, I made my way towards Banks’s office. I’d made up my mind, and I knew that what I had to do was focus all of my attention on what really mattered. I was the kind of person that needed goals to work towards, and now that I had one, I felt stronger than I had in days. All my efforts and complete dedication was going to go towards taking down Banks.

                I couldn’t bother with trivial things like trying to win the affections of a girl I’d just met; not when there were much bigger things that needed to be solved. Though I was still curious about the strange emotions and reactions that Ally always seemed to bring out in me, I’d made it a point to push them away into the farthest recesses of my mind.

                With every step I took forward, I could feel my resolve solidify; this would be the last time I’d interfere with an initiate’s life. It was wrong of me to meddle in things that didn’t concern me. Even now, I knew that the wiser thing to do would be to throw the note away; to let Ally figure things out on her own. I knew it, but even so, I found myself unable to turn away.

                This is the last time, if something else happens, you will not intervene; I mentally promised myself.

                With that final thought cemented into my brain, I walked faster and more deliberately. Though my one-tracked mind usually proved to be a hindrance, it was now the only thing that helped give me the strength to ignore the disparaging emotions that threatened to creep up on me; it gave my life direction. I was focused, I knew what I wanted, and I’d do anything to reach my goal.

               Though a part of me realized I was upset at the thought of staying away from Ally, the more the seconds ticked by, the more distance I put between myself and the clinic, the less I felt like I’d been punched in the gut. Though I didn’t feel one-hundred percent okay with my own decision, and the tiniest voice in my head rebelled against the idea, I knew I couldn’t ignore Ava’s demands.

               The halls were clear, not a person in sight, and it was probably due to this severe lack of noise that I managed to hear the strange mumblings of Banks before I was even close to his office. Some instinct kicked in immediately, and I found myself slowing from my quick stride into a stealthier gait.

               I felt a prickling run from my neck down to my back, and a small surge of adrenaline seemed to make my senses sharper. I slowed when his voice became louder, but didn’t stop completely; I wanted to get closer. Pressing myself against the rock wall, I crept forward as quietly as I could. Making sure to keep my breaths even and quiet, I cocked my head to the side and closed my eyes in concentration.

               “… yes, yes I know that. I’ve just about figured out the problem,” Banks muttered. “I’ll need to test it out. I have various subjects in mind that I could use, but I’ll need time to confirm their status.”

               The smallest buzz came in response, and I realized that he must be communicating though some sort of machine. I’d noticed he usually wore a small metal earpiece, and I could only guess that was what he was using now.

               “There is one that I am certain of in my group, and two others that I have high suspicions about, both female. There are also two others I have my eye on in Sage’s group,” he continued after a pause.

               My mouth went dry at the sound of my name, and I had the sudden feeling that I knew what he was talking about. I wanted to be wrong, but somehow I knew I wasn’t. In a rush, I suddenly knew why Banks hadn’t had any objection in teaching this year’s initiates. As if in response to my thoughts, his next words confirmed my suspicions.