Chapter 17

The air was cold and stung my face as I craned my head out the side of the train’s cabin. In the dark, only the moon would be a witness to the deeds I’d been sent out to do. The stars shimmered, and in a way it almost felt as if they were eyes; eyes that glared down at me accusingly. I knew what I was doing was wrong, but until I’d formed a better plan, I didn’t have a choice; I had to do what Banks said.

                As the train neared the factionless sector of the city, I got to my feet and prepared to jump. Gripping the handle, I leaned out and narrowed my eyes as I spotted the familiar surroundings; I was near the factionless sector of the city.

                Without waiting for the train to slow, I stood and then jumped when I figured I was close to the location Banks had assigned me. My legs shuddered with the force of my landing, but I didn’t stumble as I continued to run forward. In the dark, I slunk along the sides of the buildings surrounding me, making sure to stay hidden in their shadows.

                I made my way further and further into the depths of the factionless sector, and as I did, I made sure to keep an eye out for any wandering people I might stumble upon. The streets were vacant though; it was cold, and the factionless made it a habit to hide out in the abandoned buildings when the weather became too harsh.

                I stopped in my tracks when a flickering of light caught my eye. In the dark, it shone like a beacon that would guide me to what I needed to find. Squinting, I realized that the it was actually emanating from a small bonfire, and that around it, there were a pair of factionless citizens.

                Though I felt guilty, and my stomach churned with remorse, I found myself making my way towards them. I was only a couple of paces away from them when I began to take out the necessary supplies I’d need.

                Normally I tried to get the samples I needed from people that were alone, that way if they fought, I’d have an easier time dispatching them. With these two males, I’d have my work cut out for me. From what I could see, they were both middle aged, and even from where I stood I could tell they were thin and malnourished. Still, I didn’t want to risk getting caught.

                Reaching into my pack, I pulled out a thin metal pistol. It looked odd, and it was probably due to the fact that it didn’t shoot bullets, rather tranq-darts. I loaded it with the projectiles that were laced with enough sedative that would have them on their back in seconds, and then flicked off the safety.

                The two men were holding their hands out towards the fire, trying to warm themselves, and again I felt a pang of regret. Though they wouldn’t necessarily be hurt, it still bothered me to do this to them. But I had to… I had to.

                I held the gun up and away from my body, and when I saw the most opportune moment, I acted. I squeezed the trigger once, shifted, and then shot again, hitting both of my targets in the neck in a matter of seconds.

                The men didn’t groan, didn’t make a single noise, as they swayed and then collapsed onto the ground. I paused, waiting to see if maybe someone nearby might’ve seen what happened, but when no one came, I ran out of my hiding spot. I already had my pack out by the time I’d reached them.

                Kneeling by their bodies, I worked quickly and with skilled hands. First, I pinched the tiniest bit of their hair between my fingers, snipped it, and then placed the strands into separate plastic bags. Second, I took out a syringe and then drew three milliliters of blood from their arms, then proceeded to save it in three separate blood tubes. Last, I pulled out a thin metal object that sort of resembled a flashlight –it was a retinal scanner– and then lifted their eyelids so that I’d be able to lock in their identities.