Chapter 36

I was keenly aware of every one of Ally’s movements as we headed down to the testing room. It didn’t escape my notice that she kept nervously wiping her hands against her pants, that she was walking in a stiff and formal manner, and that her breathing had hitched ever so slightly. I saw it all.

                Down the hallway and into the room, she barely managed to stifle a small gasp of alarm when her eyes landed on the metal reclining chair inside. Then, as if to really solidify my suspicions, her face paled when she spotted the familiar beeping machine that had several wires connected to it; the computer that was similar to the one used for the aptitude tests.

                “Take a seat,” I said, motioning to the chair.

“That’s what stage two is, a simulation?” Ally said, not moving even the slightest bit as she stared at the seat with poorly hidden dread. “How many of them will we have to do?”

                Slowly, I turned from the computer and raised a brow at her. Her horror was unmistakable, but it surprised me nonetheless to actually see it; she normally tried so hard to conceal any and all weaknesses. Also, she was usually better at hiding her unending curiousity.

                “That’s an awful lot of questions,” I noted quietly, adding a hint of warning to the last word. “You’re pretty curious for someone with a dauntless aptitude.”

                “I– ” she faltered, swallowing loudly as her eyes darted from the chair to my face. Clearly she was searching for a lie, something, anything, to say that would explain her abnormal reaction.

                “It’s okay, it’s just nerves right?” I said, deciding to give her an out. “Sit.”

                “Right, yes, nerves,” she nodded. Cautiously, she made her way to the chair, and once she was on it she gripped the armrests with a white-knuckle grip. “Umm, so exactly what kind of test will it be this time?”

                “You remember the exam they gave you to determine your aptitude?” I asked as I began to type away at the keyboard; setting up the correct program. She nodded, and I continued. “Well it’s sort of like that. However, instead of finding out what faction you belong in, this one will draw up your worst fears and present them to you as a series of simulations.”

                “Oh wow, that sounds great,” Ally said, attempting to be sarcastic, though mostly she just sounded all the more appalled. “Seriously, I can’t wait. You dauntless sure do know how to have fun.”

                “It’s not without a purpose that we do these tests,” I said reassuring. Pulling out another syringe, I began to draw up her dose. “The simulations are used to teach you to control your fears so that in a time of danger, you’ll be able to think in a level-headed manner. We make you face your fears, so that you’ll always be prepared for the worst.”

                “I guess that makes sense,” she admitted after some thought. Shifting in her seat, Ally’s eyes narrowed when she spotted the syringe in my hand. “What’s that for?”

                “There’s a transmitter in the serum that’ll stimulate a certain area of your brain. It will draw up your fears and then create a hallucination. Then, it’ll transmit the images into this computer, from where I’ll be able to observe. Now, if you could please turn your head.”

                Without further hesitation, Ally nodded and shifted so that her neck was exposed. Gingerly, I swept a few strands of hair away, and then with great care I injected her with the serum. I noticed her wince slightly, but that was all; she didn’t complain.