chapter four

Arthur Hudson's car pulled up to the entrance of the newly renovated Cohen House office building. A wave of nostalgia flooded his mind as he looked at the grand logo out front. Alexandra was really not one to stray from tradition, he thought. A week had passed before a meeting was arranged between Hudson Industries and Cohen House. During that week Caroline and Clayton had suffered many verbal injuries from the old man as he blamed them for ruining whatever hope they had in securing this deal.

He confidently walked inside with his entourage of lawyers, advisors and his son behind him. The office had a white aesthetic with many glass walls and windows which filled the entire floorplan with bright daylight. Clayton found it weirdly calming. Unlike his father's office, the employees here weren't as tense and didn't look like they would shit themself if he spoke to them.

Alexandra and Jonathan were in the main boardroom going over the business proposals John had put together. Jonathan really didn't have to ask for her opinion on it since he was always right but he still felt it was necessary since she was the CEO. Alex had arrived the previous night from Beijing and really did not want to meet the Hudson's. But it was necessary and she had to put her differences aside for the company's sake.

Jonathan went over to greet the group first while Alex remained in her spot going over a few schedules for that day. Arthur approached her and she greeted him personally before taking her place at the head of the table.

"Good day gentlemen,"Alex began and gestured for them to be seated. She found it weird that she was the only woman in the room.

"We're all here to discuss the possibility of a partnership between Cohen House and Hudson Industries. My associate Mr Blake and I have drawn up an appropriate business proposal which is being passed out to you right now."

Alex watched the middle aged men at the table go over the paperwork but she felt someone staring at her. Clayton Hudson. She stared back at him because she wasn't going to look away and give him the satisfaction.

The meeting lasted for about an hour before a decision was agreed upon. Arthur wanted a complete merger but Alex would not have that since technically her company was worth more than his. He would gain half her assets and resources while she would lose half. Did he really think she was that stupid?

Jonathan watched Alexandra debate Arthur. He wondered why she was so insistent on partnering with the company since she always complained about what a terrible man he was.

"With all due respect Mr Hudson your company is on the verge of bankruptcy. Cohen house on the other hand is profitable. Partnering with Hudson Industries is a great risk but I'm willing to take that risk for 50% of your company shares,"Alex spoke.

The men at the table laughed. Did she really think she would get 50% out of them. Surprising all of them, a new voice spoke up.

"With all due respect Miss Cohen, even though your company is profitable, it's still brand new to the US market,"Clayton spoke up tired of all the back and forth.

"You have a lot to gain from my father's company which has an impeccable media image and reputation. After all, after what happened with your father no one is really going to take you seriously,"Clayton added with a slight smirk.

Alex listened to him and clenched her fists when he mentioned her father. She didn't think that was necessary at the meeting.

"30% and that's our final offer,"he said holding her gaze.

"45."

"40."

Alex let out a deep breath and turned to John. He subtly nodded to her and she turned back to Clayton.

"You've got yourself a deal. I'll have the paperwork drawn up soon and email them to your office."