chapter five

Alex dropped her apartment keys in the stained glass bowl that sat on a stool near the entrance of her home. She sighed, removing her coat and heels. It had been a long day and to make matters worse, she was not completely satisfied with the deal that was made with the Hudson's.

"Hey baby sis, I'm gonna be in town this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to see you. Call me when you get this,"the muffled voice of Jackson could be heard as Alex pressed the messages button on her answering machine.

An eye roll escaped her and she proceeded to look through her fridge for left overs. Thinking of her brother visiting only meant one thing: he needed money. And under normal circumstances, being in a position of means, she wouldn't have been apprehensive to give it to him. But this was Jack. The same Jack that dissapeared once her father's insurance paid out and the same Jack that always wanted to make money quickly. No matter how stupid the idea was.

She settled on the couch with a glass of merlot and ramen. College food, she reminisced. A knock at the door pulled her out of her thoughts and Alex's heart beat picked up, wondering who it could be.

Swinging the door open she was met with the a dimpled smile from Jesse. He held out a bag of thai takeaway,"I come in peace."

Alex smiled and opened the door wider for him. It felt like she hadn't smiled in forever. They had last seen each other earlier in the week when she arrived in Beijing but he had left later on that same day.

"There's something called calling you know?"Alex quipped placing her hands on her hips. Jesse was other best friend and confidant. Around him, she could be herself.

"Yeah but my phone died and I just prayed that you'd be home since we passed all the good hotels on the way from the airport,"he explained vibrantly as he wheeled in his bags.

"Did you miss me? We were barely together for an hour in Beijing,"Alex smiled walking up to him and wrapping her arms around his waist. She pulled him closer to her and began taking off his jacket.

"Someone's eager,"he laughed but hoisted her up onto the kitchen counter,"But I'm not complaining."

"Its been a long day kid,"Alex sighed taking out her turtleneck. He brushed her hair behind her ears and laughed.

"So? It's been a long week too and as soon as I get a break, I have to deal with you,"Jesse grinned and booped her nose.

"And stop calling me kid!"he added throwing her over his shoulders and smacking her butt a little. She giggled and pinched his in return.

-

"Do you know Clayton Hudson by any chance?"Alex asked eating the thai takeaway in bed. Neither of them had changed yet but were so hungry after what had transpired that they decided to eat in bed and just enjoy each other's presence.

"I think so, Caroline's son right?"Jesse asked just to make sure. Alex nodded.

"His mom and my mom were really good friends. We went to high school together. Captain of the soccer team, class president and all that jazz. You know, typical pretty boy stuff,"he replied with hand gestures.

Alex smiled at the last comment,"He's a pain in the ass."

"Want me to beat him up?"

"Are you really going to play protective boyfriend now?"she smirked lifting a brow.

He rolled his eyes and stole some of the chicken from her pad thai. The friends with benefits thing was working really well for the pair but every once in a while she would say something that would make his stomach twist in knots.

"And this is exactly why you're single,"he pronounced getting out of the bed and putting on his clothes,"No wait. You're single because you intimidate any guy who shows interest toward you, have way too high expectations of them and behave like a downright witch."

Alex pursed her lips and threw a pillow at him.

"I love how you're being so judgemental about my love life when you have a girlfriend,"she pointed out but wished she didn't.

"Clara and I aren't official. If we were than this,"he said motioning between the both of them,"Wouldn't have happened. That's not who I am."

"Yeah but you like her. Otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned her specifically out of all the girls you're seeing."

He stopped tying his laces and thought about what he said. Did he really have feelings for Clara? If so then why was he still messing around with Alex.

"Come on I know you do. She's really pretty to, I know why she caught your eye,"Alex said sauntering off to the bathroom. She wasn't lying. When she crossed paths with Clara and Jesse accidentally, she quite enjoyed the girl's company.

"Hmm maybe you're right,"he shrugged and followed her,"I'll see her next week in Chicago. Maybe make things official."

His voice was firm but his manner was indecisive. Alex laughed,"If you're asking for permission then do what feels right. I don't care."

And she really didn't. She and Jesse were best friends who occasionally slept together and that's all. There could never be anything more but she wasn't selfish and wanted him to have more. If Clara could give that to him then kudos to them.

"Hey I'm going out. Don't wait up,"he announced as she stepped into the shower. He was met with a loud 'sure' and then left the apartment. It was unsettling that by Alex giving him the go ahead, he was now less decided on the whole Clara thing. He needed to figure out what he was feeling but tonight was not the night and he thought it would be better if he forgot those feelings existed by a night of clubbing.