chapter thirty

Clayton was frustrated but more so, anxious. With the revelation that the baby he was expecting wasn't actually his and consequently that his girlfriend cheated on him (with one of his friends), Clayton Hudson wasn't in the best mental state.

The cheating wasn't much of an issue and he acknowledged how hypocritical it was of him to even be mad at Nina. He also reasoned, on his flight to New York, that at least he was going to come clean eventually. If he hadn't come home early, would Nina have ever told him the truth?

The passing flight attendant handed him his third glass of whiskey and Clayton realised that alcoholism wasn't the road he wanted to go down. He was already going into work everyday for the past month with hangovers. He craned his neck, uncomfortable in the economy class seat, and looked at the darkening sky. When he had arrived at the airport, armed with nothing but his wallet, phone and jacket, he had no choice but to take the next flight leaving. And unfortunately for him, all the first class seats were taken.

He landed around ten in the evening and realised his choice to fly out at night wasn't exactly the most sound decision. He estimated that by the time he reached the Hamptons, let alone find her house, she would be asleep. Not wanting to scare her and make her think he was a burglar, Clayton resolved to stay at a hotel for the rest of the night.

Taking more tylenol than what's medically advised he fell into a deep slumber, already regretting the wrath he'd have to face in the morning. And he didn't mean a nasty hangover.