chapter twenty-five

Alexandra's eyes widened and when she turned on her heel, she was faced with the very serious face of Clayton. The voice in her head that said he was kidding and only said that to get her to talk to him, was silenced.

"I'm sorry I ignored you but things have been crazy and I just needed to get my life together,"he said catching up to her and holding her folded arms closer to him. He missed her presence, her scent, even the way she would glare at him.

Alex pulled away slowly and looked away. A part of her wanted to just leave but another told her to stay and listen to what he had to say or she might regret it.

"Whatever happened at the cabin was real,"he continued searching her eyes for any type of response. He sighed and slowly kissed her forehead.

"I love you Alex, and I don't want to lose what we have. Not when we're just getting started."

Alex shook her head, overwhelmed by everything that was happening and really wanting to not have this confrontation. She closed her eyes, trying to process the fact that he was going to be a father. He had a new life, new responsibilities and a baby on the way. She didn't fit into his life anymore and knowing that, was crushing.

"Nothing's changed babe. Nothing's changed,"Clayton whispered filling the silence, saying those words to convince himself that nothing really had changed. He embraced her enjoying the familiarity of her perfume and the way her body moulded into his.

"But it has,"Alex croaked out pulling away painfully slowly. She looked into his eyes trying to stop her tears from falling.   Clayton protectively wiped her eyes when he saw her cry. The last time he saw her cry, he didn't know the cause. But now it was his fault.

"P-please don't cry. I can fix it.  Everything's going to be okay. Nothing's changed."

Alex felt a bitter taste in her mouth when he said that once again,"Of course everything's changed! We're at your engagement party for crying out loud!"

She calmed down and took a step back,"You're having a baby Clayton. Do you realise how that changes everything? You're starting a new life with someone who loves you. I don't fit into that life."

Clayton furrowed his brows and shook his head,"Alex no, we can't give up on us. I can't give up on you."

"Well that's just a sacrifice you're gonna have to make,"Alex persisted,"Trust me, it's for the best."

Feeling defeated but knowing her resolve was right, Alex left the engagement party, not knowing that there was someone equally heartbroken waiting for her in the car.

-

Nina let out a sigh of relief as she removed her heels. She massaged her aching foot with one hand and watched Clayton undress in their bedroom. He didn't speak much at the party, which she expected since he never wanted the engagement, but now he was just extra silent and distant.

When she had found out she was pregnant her mother was present with her, and before Nina herself could process the news, her mother had already informed Clayton's family. Everyone was of course happy for them but the having a child out of wedlock would simply not do for their family's reputation. There was no grand proposal and the ring she currently wore was picked out by Caroline.

Nina knew Clayton resented her for being pregnant. Although he was being generally nicer, she could discern that he was unhappy. The stressed and tired looks on his face were only there to affirm her thoughts. She didn't expect anything less though. They were going to be married and very soon after, parents.

"I have a doctor's appointment on Wednesday. Will you be able to make it?"Nina asked turning to find him sitting on the bed, head resting in his palms.

Clayton lifted his head and gave her a curt nod. Everything in his life was spinning out of his control but this baby, though unexpected, was something that he wanted to do right. He wanted to be the best father because he didn't want to be like his own. But then again, Clayton reasoned, Arthur never left Caroline for any other woman- though he had his fair share of mistresses. He kept their family together.

Maybe Alex was right. It was for the best that they let go of each other. He had new responsibilities and an innocent child depending on him to get his shit together. So that's what he was going to do.