chapter thirty-six

Alex looked up from her plate, chewing a little more daintily not realizing he was watching her the entire time devouring her food. Clayton laughed at her skeptical, almost defensive, reaction.

"You have a little something-"he smiled gesturing to the corner of her lip where there was some falling chicken grizzle.

Alex hurriedly wiped it with the back of her hand and tried not to show her embarrassment,"I totally meant to do that..."

"I'm sure,"he smirked finding her awkwardness refreshing,"As I was saying...We need to decide what's going to happen when we go back."

Alex tensed and took a long sip of her wine. She continued eating, hoping for him to elaborate further so she would have an excuse to not reply. Her anxiety didn't stem from their relationship, as such, but more from the pending guilt at the back of her mind. She had to tell him. Tonight.

Clayton swallowed as his nerves grew when she never spoke. It was so hard to read her and even harder to assume what she was thinking.

"When we were at the cabin it was more of a weekend thing,  just to get whatever feelings there were out of our system,"he filled the silence,"And we never really discussed what was going to happen when we left."

They had spoken about him breaking up with Nina at that time, but not about where he stood with his relationship with Alex.

"Unlike last time, I want us to leave here together. I want us to be an actual couple and it doesn't matter what anyone says,"he gently took her plate away so she couldn't distract herself with it,"Everything will eventually settle down and we'll be happy."

Alex bit the inside of her cheek unable to properly handle everything she was feeling. She felt so guilty, not only for keeping her true intentions for returning to San Diego from him, but also guilty for their infidelity. Nina's affair didn't change the fact that Clayton had one as well. She couldn't imagine the humiliation she'd probably face from the press or even his family.

"Alex please,"he said shakily,"Say something."

"Clayton I love you. I really do and I want to move forward with our relationship,"she said assuring him that she did want to be his girlfriend.

Happiness temporarily flooded him,"I sense a 'but'..."

"I just- I have to tell you something. I don't want any of this to be built on lies so-"

"Alex spit it out,"he interrupted closing himself off at the thought of her deceiving him. He didn't think he could handle it.

She bit her lip, just the way Nina had done a few hours ago. Everything about this made him angry and he didn't know why.

Alex took a deep breath, realizing that whatever was to follow was meant to happen. If Clayton couldn't see past the truth and understand her reasons, then maybe he wasn't someone she should be with. It hurt to think that by just admitting something that made her so proud a few months ago could destroy the connection she shared with the one person who actually saw her as more than just Alexandra Cohen.

"I-"she began but stopped when she registered a loud banging noise from inside the house. Clayton heard it too, his instincts instantly aware that there might be an intruder. Alex, seeing it as a way of delaying the situation at hand, awoke and went inside to investigate.

As he followed behind her, Clayton was more aware of the fact that the loud noise was coming from the front door.

"Who could be here this late?"Alex asked herself out loud walking toward the door. Her aunt wasn't expected back for a few weeks and there weren't any neighbours around for miles.

"I don't know, you tell me,"Clayton sneered crossing his arms. He hated that their conversation had been interrupted and his suspicion from earlier was still present. Alex rolled her eyes and moved to open the door. Clayton stepped forward protectively feeling like a douche for not opening it. He was the man and whoever was outside could be a murderer for all they knew.

Alex didn't care for him to display his masculinity and had opened the door without thinking. The person standing before her was vaguely familiar. The shadows of the night obscured their face. It was definitely a woman though. Before she could utter a word Alex felt a searing sting across her face. The figure pushed her way into the house, horrifying Clayton. Alex, still recovering from the blow, turned around and saw her in all her glory. The look of betrayl in her eyes was enough to stop Alex in her tracks from retaliating while Clayton still tried to wrap his head around his sister slapping his now, girlfriend.