chapter nineteen

The old cabin was decorated with bookcases and cabinets that hid various treasures that piqued Alex's curiosity. For the majority of the day Clayton and her spoke, getting to know each other and trying to move past the prejudices that they held for each other. From one evening of speaking with him, without the suffocating office surroundings and without the burden of hating him or his father, Alex had learned a lot.

They had sat at the dock, feet dangling into the lake, listening to each other speak. And when silence fell, the sound of their steady breaths was enough. Alex fell into a sort of haze when he spoke. Her brown eyes would get lost in the way his lips moved or the contours of his face. She noticed a scar on his jaw and how thick his eyelashes were. She acknowledged the way his hands moved when he was explaining something and every so often felt his feet touch hers in the water.

All her research about him turned out to have only scratched the surface. He was more than that. So much more.

She skimmed through the stack of records and finally found one by Ben E. King. It was old and was probably not going to work, she thought. Alex lazily placed it on the record player and pretty soon Clayton could no longer here the dainty movements of her feet or hands, but could hear a familiar song that made him smile.

"What's for dinner?"Alex asked entering the kitchen and seeing him cooking. He was a sight for sore eyes. Clayton was already very attractive but something about seeing him so domesticated, made her want him more.

"Hmm well the grocer nearby didn't have much variety so I just got some stuff for a bolognese,"he replied pouring her a glass of wine.

Alex took a seat at one of the stools at the counter he was working on. She thanked him and sipped the wine slowly. His eyes focused on the pot in front of him but he couldn't help but notice the difference in her. The kitchen light added a certain warm tone to her face that was unfamiliar and welcoming.

"The other day you told me that you've never been able to love Nina and it kind of confuses me, and I'm not easily confused! I just don't understand why. From all of our interactions she seems like the type of girl any guy would be lucky to have,"Alex spoke once she caught him glancing at her too many times.

Clayton sighed. He had hoped that she wouldn't bring Nina up during the weekend. He didn't want to be reminded of her or the expectations that came with.

"Nina and I look perfect on the outside and everyone thought that we'd be a great couple. We both come from similar backgrounds and I'd see her almost every week at functions or events, so it made sense for us to date,"he explained as best he could,"But when it's just the two of us, we can barely hold a conversation. She needs someone who can love her for who she is, not for the way she looks on their arm. Not the way I do."

Alex felt sad listening to him, knowing how heartbroken Nina would feel to have heard all of that. But at the same time she was making it worse. She was allowing Clayton to cheat on Nina and as much as neither of them wanted to call it that, that is exactly what they were doing.

"What about you?"Clayton asked recovering from thoughts of his girlfriend and returning back to normal,"Boyfriend?"

"No...nothing like that,"Alex shook her head with a small smile.

Clayton laughed lightly,"Sure."

He wasn't conviced. He didn't know whether she knew about the Johnathan situation but he didn't want to be the one to bring it up especially not now.

"Fine. There is-was someone. But it wasn't anything serious,"she clarified,"I think we both wanted more but I pushed him away and now he's with someone else."

"Do you still want more,"Clayton hesitated,"From him?"

Alex remained silent, unable to formulate a reply, and that was an answer in itself for Clayton.
-

"Who knew you were a good cook?"Alex complemented taking another bite of the food he prepared, letting out a satisfying sigh afterward.

"Well I had to get those noises out of you one way or another,"he playfully joked catching her off guard.

"Is that the only thing on your mind?"she questioned quirking a brow and resting her jaw on a palm.

"Well not the only thing but I can't say I haven't thought about it before,"he responded leaning in just a little and smirking. They sat across from each other on the porch, enjoying each other more than the peaceful night.

"Well you're gonna have to do more than make good pasta to make me consider that offer,"Alex replied wittily. He smiled and shook his head.

"I wouldn't expect anything less from a fine woman like yourself,"Clayton replied putting on a professional tone to tease her.

Alexandra grinned and ate her dinner in a silence, every once in a while catching him staring at her, only to laugh because she was staring at him as well.

With his arm slung around her shoulder, Clayton and Alex carried their dishes back into the house, occasionally distracting each other with light pecks and kisses.

"You know we can do this later right,"he said to Alex while she loaded the dishwasher. He moved her hair to the side and placed a soft kiss on her shoulder blade. Alex closed her eyes savoring the sensation of his lips on an unfamiliar part of her body.

"Well I guess you're right,"she smiled seductively turning around to pull him closer,"There's something else I'd much rather be doing."

"And what's that?"he asked leaning in to kiss her.

"Sleep,"Alex replied moving out of the way,making him kiss the air,"I trust the couch will be comfortable for you."

She resisted a giggle and patted his cheek encouragingly before walking out of the kitchen. He seriously did not think she would submit that easily and sleep with him on the first night. Although a great part of her craved exactly that, she couldn't forget that the reason he liked her was because she was feisty and relentless. Why would she want to change that? In fact, she suspected, it would only leave him wanting more.