chapter sixteen

"And that's why I think, with more improvements, we can market this technology in the commercial and industrial sector,"Alexandra finished her presentation and turned to the board of directors expectantly. They clapped politely mumbling to each other about her pitch. She sat back down and swallowed deeply, not knowing what to expect.

"Miss Cohen your idea does have potential but I don't think it would be wise to invest such a large percentage of revenue in a prototype that does not have a marketable target market,"an older woman was the first to speak.

"Our priority is creating software developments to advance the technological world, not branch into the medical field. Your attempt to help Alzheimer's patients and the alike is endearing but we already donate to various charities,"another voices out.

As each person slowly gave their opinions, Alex's hope slowly began to shatter. In a way it was like she had to give up of ever having her mother back, the way it used to be. She felt weak. She should have never made this personal in the first place.

"I understand,"she said cutting off one of those opposed. She had to be professional and couldn't let them think of her as emotional. Being a good businesswoman was about making mistakes and failures. It just hit you harder when you've been on top for so long.

The meeting carried on for another thirty minutes before everyone began to exit.

"Hey can I talk to you? You've been avoiding me since last week?"John subtly asked as they walked back to her office.

"Indeed, like the plague,"Alex's response was accompanied by an eye roll as she walked faster than him.

"Are you going to tell me what I did to deserve that?"he asked shifting his spectacles and opening the door for her.

"Besides the fact that you completely threw me under the bus at the meeting last week."

"Alex I didn't think you would be upset about it,"his eyes softened and he gestured for her to sit with him on the office couch.

She complied but her eyes were still making him uncomfortable,"I apologize for doing it without your permission but I just thought you were ready. I believed in you. I still do."

Johnathan didn't know when he began to see Alexandra as more than his boss who delegated all her tasks on him. He was an intern at the company when David Cohen was still alive and he remembered occasionally seeing a little girl running around her father's office floor performing 'magic tricks' on everyone. It was ironic because he swore, she had bewitched him now.

Alex smiled slightly acknowledging that having someone say that out loud was nice to hear,"Thanks."

John smiled back but stopped when a recurring thought came back to mind and this time he couldn't avoid speaking to her about it,"Alex what's going on between you and Arthur's son?"

Alarmed and defensive, she quickly replied,"Nothing. Nothing is going on."

"Don't lie to me. I've seen the way he looks at you. And you...you look at him too. I saw that today,''he relayed his evidence quite irritated.

"I told you there's nothing like that going on. Drop it,"she said sternly, not liking that he was overstepping his boundaries. They were at work and even if they weren't, her personal life wasn't his business.

Alexandra woke up and walked away from him. Johnathan stood up as well but stayed away from her. He didn't need her to confirm what he suspected. The silent glances they would steal from each other at that morning's meeting was enough.

"Alex I don't want you to get hurt,"he spoke honestly,"But you will if you let this continue. You know what's going to happen. Do you think he's going to still be interested once you ruin everything his family's worked for?"

Alex's head whipped around to meet his desperate eyes,"I know what I'm doing John. Everything's under control."

"Yeah that's what you always say,"he scoffed and left her alone. Alex bit her lip trying to regain her composure. Nothing felt under control.

She couldn't give up on her original goal which was to avenge her father by giving Arthur Hudson a taste of his own medicine. Developing feelings for his son was not part of the plan. Everytime she thought of him or remembered the kiss, a bitter aftertaste of guilt and disappointment washed over her. The choice between her father and herself stood before, and every bone and logical thought pointed in the direction of her dad.

But fate had something else in store for Alexandra when Clayton walked into her office, his guarded demeanor disappearing once he saw her tear stained cheeks.