chapter one

Clayton Hudson removed what was left of the expensive cigarette between his lips and threw it on the ground. His designer, leather shoes slowly rubbed it against the tarmac parking lot as his eyes searched for any of his family's vehicles.

"Well are we going in or what?"a voice he had forgotten was there spoke up. Clayton's head turned toward the slim figure of his date, her body clad in a baby pink, silk gown. He cleared his throat and nodded before proceeding to take her arm, pocketing his car keys. Even though valet services were present he chose to drive himself, not trusting anyone with his new toy. It had cost him a fortune after all.

"Woah...this place is amazing. I didn't expect it to be like this-"Nina began but stopped once a waiter offered the champagne. Clayton took a flute of bubbly as well and proceeded to lead her toward his family table. He tried to ignore the side commentary from Nins as much as possible. He hated having to take dates to events because it just felt like babysitting.

Nina noticed his stoic expression and tensed demeanor. She immediately unhooked her arms from his and walked away from him, seeing a few familiar faces. She wasn't going to be something for him to display while he just kept ignoring her. Clayton Hundson was such a confusing man. Sometimes he requested her company and other times he pretended she didn't exist. If it wasn't for his good looks and her gullibility she really wouldn't have accepted his invitation.

"You're alone? I thought Clay would come with you?"asked a friend with a concerned face even though her tone had some satisfaction laced within. Nina smiled softly and replied that he was somewhere around the large garden. Dating Clayton Hudson, even though he wouldn't define it as that, was filled with scrutiny, judgment and of course passive aggressiveness from His Highness. But there's really nothing you can do about it when you're so in love.

Clayton approached the table at which his family was seated. Caroline Hudson eagerly playing with her grandson, Arthur Hudson intently discussing the future of Cohen House with the COO, Charles Hudson glued to the video game on his phone and Julia Pattinson in conversation with her husband Simon.

"Mr Blake please allow me to introduce my son and right hand man, Clayton,"Arthur said in an overly cheerful facade before giving his son a look of disappointment,"Who is a half hour late might I add."

Clayton swallowed and shook the gentleman's hand,"It's a pleasure to meet you sir. What you've done with Cohen House is truly remarkable."

"Thank you. But it really isn't all my hard work. I wouldn't have this job if it wasn't for Alex,"he replied,"Oh and please call me John."

"Alex?"Arthur questioned furrowing his thick eyebrows.

"Yes, Alex Cohen, the CEO of Cohen House,"Jonathan replied calmly.

"I see,"Arthur commented calculating whether he remembered if David had a son.

Clayton listened and eventually turned to his nephew who required his favorite uncle to carry him. Jonathan Blake excused himself and went off to attend to other pressing matters. They were officially releasing Cohen House to the American public. The cooperation had soared in Europe and Australia and John could only hope it would do even better in the US. He had been cramming so much work the last few weeks and he wished Alex would take some responsibility and share the work load.

"Clayton where's Nina?"Caroline questioned her son looking up at him. He sat down at the table and then realised Nina had strayed off.

"I think she's mingling with some friends mother,"he responded taking out his smartphone. He began answering his emails when his had reached out for the champagne glass he had been sipping. He found it empty and huffed inna dissapointed tone.

"Hey could I get another glass of champagne,"he called out to a female waitress who was standing a few feet away from their table

"Better yet, whiskey. Neat,"he added with the typical tone of entitlement he used whenever he was around waiters or shop assistants. He eyed the waitress up and down, impressed that the catering company held standards for what the waiters wore. Simple black and white suits. He made a mental note that if he opened a restaurant he would employ the same type of uniform.

He turned around and went back to his phone, completely oblivious to the look of offense left on the young women's face. She shook her head and played with the paperclip between her fingers.

"Ladies and gentlemen, without further ado I would like to formally introduce you to the CEO and face of Cohen House : Alexandra Cohen,"John Blake announced proudly as people clapped politely, shocked that the CEO was a woman.

Alexandra made her way through the crowd, the spotlight following her every step. She had a straight face as she made her way onto the stage. Hundreds of people from various economic fields stared back at her, wondering who she was exactly. Alex straightened out her black suit jacket, formed a polite smile, and began to say the speech that was written for her.

Clayton's brown eyes slowly lifted to see not only the waitress walking onto the stage but also the various photos of her work at Cohen House in the holographic slideshow. Realisation set in as he realised he had just asked the CEO of the company his father desperately wanted a contract from, to get him a drink. He put his phone away and listened to the confident voice echoing from the stage.

-
thank you so much for reading. don't forget to vote and leave a comment♡