chapter fourteen

It was around seven in the evening when Clayton Hudson decided that he should honour her request and make his way to Alexandra's office. He had tried to avoid her for the most part since the ball but no matter how hard either of them tried, seeing each other was inevitable. Her assistant had called to say that he could only meet her at 12:00 but he had been busy and knew that an arrogant and business minded person like herself would be working late.

He entered to familiar office building and made his way to her office. He still wore his suit from earlier but felt it was not needed since no one was around and it was after working hours.

He hoped she was in her office and he didn't come all the way over for nothing. When the elevator opened the sound of loud music could be heard. As he walked toward it the song became more familiar and he couldn't make the connection in his head to whoever was playing it.

The clear office doors graciously gave Clayton a good view of Miss Cohen singing along to her favorite Queen album whilst occasionally twirling and eating Chinese takeout. She was a sight to behold. Clayton couldn't help but smile realising that this was her in her natural state. When she didn't have anyone else around her and when she didn't have any guards up. Her hair fell loosely down her back in slight waves and she danced without shoes along the carpeted floor of her office. The blazer she'd worn at that morning's meeting was gone and Clayton could have sworn that the person he saw at the meeting, and the one he was seeing now were two different people.

He tentatively knocked on her door, revealing himself to her. The look on her face was one of surprise and embarrassment but Clayton thought it was slightly humorous.

"Wh-what are you doing here?"she asked still comprehending that Clayton had seen her in a most embarrassing moment.

Clayton chuckled lightly at how she was trying to be mean to him again. Crossed arms, narrowed eyes and pursed lips. But he could never see her in the same light again, not after what he just witnessed.

"I'm just here to help...as per your request,"he replied in a patronizing tone and walked pass her, into the large office.

Alex remembered that she had said that but she didn't expect him to come. It didn't make sense why he would want to come since it wasn't something someone in his position would be asked to do.

"It's fine you can go. I have everything under control-"she said turning to him,"Hey put that down!"

Clayton was sitting on the couch looking at the mess of hard drives, wires and computers in front of him. He picked up something that resembled a camera before he was scolded.

"Yeah you totally have everything under control,"he replied sarcastically gesturing to the scattered table.

"Look, this is my project okay? And I'm not going to let you take credit for my work so you can leave,"Alex said switching of the stereo and crossing her arms once again.

"I'm not trying to take credit for your work, I'm just trying to help you,"he explained calmly,"And it looks like you definitely need it. This coding is all wrong."

"What? No it's not. I've been working on it for weeks,"she justified going to sit next to him, taking the computer away. She hated to admit it but he was right, the programming had faults and this was probably why she was experiencing glitches.

"Fine you can help me but under one condition."

"Yes?"he answered taking back the laptop.

"Don't touch me,"she said with indignation. A part of her knew that he wouldn't dare do anything against her will but another part told her that if they did touch, neither of them would be able to control themselves.

Clayton audibly laughed and turned back to his task,"Alright then Alexandra. But I hope you know this works both ways."

Alex wanted to wipe the smirk off his face with a punch, first for assuming that she couldn't control herself and second for saying her full name. They were both clearly trying to push memories from the ball aside and pretend it didn't happen, both not entirely sure why it did though.

--

They had been working for two hours, Alex mostly correcting Clayton and him mostly telling her that he graduated with honours in IT.

"So this programme is like a storage facility right?"he asked trying to break the silence between them.

"Sort of,"she replied looking away. He rolled his eyes at her immaturity.

"They're going to ask you questions at the meeting so you might as well practice your answers with me."

Alex sighed. He did make a fair point.

"Well it is a storage bin but I created it so that people wouldn't forget certain memories. And when they did, they could watch everything replay before them, like a movie,"she answered. She spoke more kindly and with a glint in her eye that only happened when she spoke about something she loved.

"I was...not expecting that,"he said turning to her with a proud smile. Alex rolled her eyes but smiled back at him, forgetting to stop herself.

"Are you trying not forget someone?"he asked still not seeing why she would want to make something like that,"It's brilliant but why would you want to create it?"

Alex spaced out for a moment thinking back to when the idea sprung up. It made her sad but she figured he had already seen her true self, with or without her consent, that telling him more about it wouldn't do any harm.

"My mother has early onset Alzheimer's,"she spoke quite softly, moving closer to him to take the laptop back"And at one point she didn't know who I was."

Once she caught sight of the look of pity in his eye her mood did a 180 and she regretted opening up to him. What did she think would happen? He would still take her seriously after everything he had seen and heard?

"You know what? I think that's enough,"she said resolutely,"We should just go home-"

His arms wrapped themselves around her much to her surprise and disdain. She pushed him off missing the warmth but also having more self respect to accept his sympathy.

"You said you wouldn't touch me!"she yelled pointing at the door,"Get out."

Clayton felt confused by her sudden change of attitude. She was giving him mixed signals leading him to constantly misread her. He was visibly annoyed now and stood up along with her, making his way to the door. She had shown vulnerability in front of him and when he tried to show he cared for her, she just pushed him away once more. This back and forth was tiring, but Clayton knew that wasn't entirely her fault.

And just when he least expected it an epiphany came to him. Her mother couldn't remember her and her father had died when she was pretty young. He didn't know much about what other losses she had experienced in life but he did know that Alexandra was hurt. She had deeply rooted feelings of loss and abandonment and her rudeness was only a way to distract the people around her from it. The arrogant woman he had first met was not the same person who giggled and danced to Queen when no one was around.

Whoever the former was, whoever Alexandra Cohen was trying to be, Clayton was beginning to see right through her. It all made sense now.

"Well what are you waiting for?"she asked staring him just standing at the door, his back facing her. Alex crossed her arms, expecting him to have left minutes ago.

He turned around and speedily walked toward her. Her mind told her to move away but her feet stood rooted on the floor. She began to shake her head when his arm pulled her waist toward him and all she could see was his eyes. He gently unfolded her arms and placed his other hand on her neck. She knew what was going to happen and although every nerve in her body told her to slap him, that was the last thing she could think about when he placed his forehead against hers.

Clayton felt the familiar sensation of her body against his and instant euphoric feeling that presented itself when he held her. This felt right. Whatever it was, it was right and no one could tell him different. Not even her. Alex's words played themselves out in his mind. What was he waiting for?

"This,"he whispered before closing the gap between them and capturing her lips in a seering kiss that Clayton hoped, if at least for one second, would help her forget about all the hurt that lead her to him.