Missing Half

££££

I can't rid the grin that's embedded on my face, no matter how much my cheeks ache. I touch my swollen lips and reminisce in his every touch. His every kiss. His pure animalistic hunger. How he subjugated my body with a single command, it came so easy, almost too easy, like I was built for only him. I was made to please only him. I could give my body to him forever, let him use me and fulfill his every fantasy and I would be delighted. I could be so happy my heart beats too much and I fall into a heart attack. I just need to show him that. I know he loves his wife, but what they have is ordinary, stale, common. What we have is fire, it's an epic, once-in-a-lifetime connection. I knew it and no matter how much he rejects it- he does too.

I park my car in the driveway and fix my hair in the mirror. I zip up my coat, stowing away my swollen nipples and heavy breasts. I slip the jingly keys in the slots and hear the click.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!" I almost scream, mortified and surprised.

"Oh my god!" I shout, seeing all my friends and family piled into the room, their hiding spots were lousy and thoughtless, but they did in fact scare me.

"You guys didn't have to." I said, jutting out my bottom lip, feigning a cry. I give Fynn a hug and hope nobody notices my rubescent, sweaty skin and wide, guilty eyes. Gael pulls me into his warm body, hugging me tightly. That's when the guilt really hits.

"Come on, let's go out back." He says, peering down at me with those beautiful eyes I've grown to love. I nod.

"Yeah, sure." In my backyard is an old tree with a tree house that's filled with enough memories and stories it could fill a hefty novel. There's a less older swing set hanging on branches and a small fireplace for countless bomb-fires. We stand on the dark oak porch where the large wooden swing sways in the light breezes, squeaking lightly as the chains grind against each other. We take a seat on the blue cushions and I settle comfortably into his side.

"Thank you for coming," I say, picking at his jeans.

"I couldn't miss it. How are you?" He catches my hand and entangles our fingers, but all I can think of his how his hands are too bare, too unblemished, too small.

"I'm okay, stressing about school and the program, and Fynneas is..." my voice trails because I don't know exactly what's bothering me about him. I just know I wouldn't have said it if I thought about it, because I don't know what he's doing or where he's been going, and although I'm happy and excited about my car, how the hell did he afford it? "I don't know. I'm just a stressed person." He plants a kiss on my head and rubs my palm with his thumb, swinging us leisurely.

"You don't need to worry about it, Nova, you're the child." I hate his condescending tone. He doesn't need to play savior. His advice gives no realistic options, I can't just halt my mind and being a child is the last thing I need to be told. I move from his hold and stand.

"I should get back, I do have a party going on." I smile, pulling him up and leading us back inside.

"You good? What was that about?" Quinn questions, her eyebrows creased with wonder. I grab a red cup, hugging a few of my "cousins". It's just what we call really old friends of the family. There's punch in a large glass bowl that looks refreshing.

"Oh, nothing. Someone's feeling inferior, and weak, and I just..." I huff out a breath and place my hands on the bowl, closing my eyes in frustration. "I don't know if I can keep doing this." She grabs her cup and her mouth drops in shock.

"With Gael? But, don't you need-," I nod.

"Yes, I do need him, but it's no longer worth the risk of breaking him. I care too much, I always have it's just... something happened." I see the instant excitement cross in her hazel eyes, and before she can interrupt I continue. "And I can't go into it, just know it's not what you're thinking but, it's definitely something."

"Wow, I don't even know what to say. I knew you had it in you, but I wasn't sure about him. So there's a real connection?" I can't even believe she has to ask that.

"Understatement of the year, Queeni." I pour my cup and I thank some more friends for coming. I unwrap presents that mostly consist of; books, makeup, and clothes, and I read aloud thoughtful, funny, quirky cards. I take pictures and talk to old friends about things that are happening in their lives. When my favorite legitimate cousins; Jessamine and Jai'Air walk in I squeal and run into their arms. I haven't seen the twins in 4 years since they moved 16 hours away.

"Oh my god! You guys came!" I screech, feeling giddy as I remember us playing as kids. We parted ways before the move, not intentionally, just different schools and friends.

"We had to, we missed you." Jessamine says, holding me at arms length, her brown eyes falling from my head to my toes.

"Sorry we're late, the drive was agonizing." Jai apprises, shooting agitated eyes toward his sister. They are identical twins. Same average height, same brown eyes, same jet black hair, although done in different styles. Jessa wears hers mid length and straight and Jai has a fade.

"It's okay, I'm just glad you made it. Come here, let me introduce you to my friends." I introduce Quinn, Gael, and Julian who showed earlier. I didn't care. As long as he showed Quinn more respect than Jordan.

~~~~

"I'll see you tomorrow, right?" Everyone has left aside from Quinn and the twins. The party was amazing, and the cake even better. And right now I'm content, even in Gaels arms. My body is here with him but I ache for Reed, I will always ache and crave Reed.

"Yeah, sounds good." I say, planting a chaste kiss on his lips and going back inside. Everyone is cleaning and chatting, the mood is really light and fun. I love it, but as always, something's missing. It's not anything I can ignore or just forget or stop obsessing over, it's part of me, and it's home with him and his wife right now.

"Earth to, Novalie." Jessa waves her hand in front of my face, bringing me back. I rub my eyes and smile.

"I'm out of it, I'm sorry. Are you staying the night? I won't allow you to pay for a hotel room." She shrugs, crossing her long arms. She's a full foot taller than me with an edgy biker style. Leather jacket and boots, black pants, plunging red shirt. She's gorgeous.

"Yeah, sure. Everything is almost done. How are you? Your boyfriend's hot." She nudges her shoulder into mine lazily, shooting me a curious look.

"He is, huh? I'm good, just trying my best."

"You seem the same. Well put together but always down for some fun." I laugh.

"Same old same old."