CHAPTER TWO.

→ CHAPTER TWO

In the cool month of October while the wind blew wickedly a child was born after 12 long hours. "Congratulations Mrs. Ross it's a girl," Emilia smiled carefully passing the baby to the woman who was covered in sweat and tears, her husband standing beside her with tears in his eyes.

Moments like this make Emilia want to let go and run free in the world without having to worry, "Nurse Finnwood" Emilia snapped out of her conscience as she began writing down the newborn baby's notes.

It wasn't long when Emilia and the other midwives left to head back to the clinic for the day, this delivery was a breach baby it was so hard and tiring. Just as Emilia came out of the house and began walking shouting could be heard.

"You little brat! how dare you steal my bread!" a man roared in rage across the street at a small thin boy who looked as if he could be blown away by the wind any moment. Emilia didn't know when but her body walked towards the scene carefully.

"What's the problem here?" Emilia asked calmingly as the man huffed putting his hands on his waist. "This little brat stole my bread without paying!" Emilia's eyes strayed and found their way onto the shivering boy who seemed as if he was going to break.

"I'm sorry," Emilia had grabbed her purse and paid the man who didn't want to let it go, "You think this is enough?" the man chuckled his body shaking lightly, "What more do you want?" Emilia asked unknowingly taking a step backward.

"You don't look too bad" the man rubbed his chin coming forward as a muscular arm wrapped itself around Emilia's waist protectively. "The lady doesn't want you." a cold voice echoed making the man gulp in fear and step back, "I'm sorry for bothering you!" the man ran away leaving the three,

"Thank you__!" Emilia paused her eyes locking with the man who she had punched yesterday his black eye standing out clearly as he smirked stuffing his hands into his pockets, Emilia swiftly turned around grabbing the wrist of the young boy walking away.

"Running away so soon?" Emilia ignored the man as he took long drags of his cigarette following the boy and woman. "This your son?" he asked as Emilia looked forward, "It is not your business"  Emilia stopped and glared Icily at the man hoping that'll scare him away.

"What do you want?" Emilia groaned stopping outside of the midwife clinic, "Let's go out for coffee tomorrow__" "I can't my schedule is full and besides I don't know you," Emilia cut off as the man chuckled blowing the smoke into Emilia's face causing her to cringe.

"Saturday, the cafe down the street" and with that the man turned on his heels and walked away with a smirk carved on his lips happily as Emilia looked down at the boy.

"What's your name?" There was a short period of silence before the boy spoke, "Edward" his voice had wavered sounded almost like a broken lullaby, soft and quiet. "Well, Edward where are your parents?" Emilia asked just realizing that she dragged the poor boy so far away.

The boy shivered and shook as he grumbled, "No parents" Emilia looked down at the boy's ocean blue eyes before guiding him inside the warm building. "Don't worry you can stay here until your guardian comes and gets you" Emilia smiled gently.

+

"Emilia! do you know how much trouble you could've been in" Beatrice scolded as Emilia looked confused at Beatrice who suddenly started rambling. "What's going on?" These words made Beatrice snap as she spun around.

"The Sister don't really like to see us hang around boys like him..." Beatrice trailed off leaving Emilia confused, even more, making Beatrice huff. "You shouldn't hang around with Michael, he's bad news I'm telling you," Beatrice said closing the room door cautiously.

It then dawned on Emilia what Beatrice was talking about. "His name is Michael? he saved me this morning" Emilia murmured out as Beatrice tsked her teeth. "Don't fall into his trap, I won't stand seeing him break someone as nice as you's heart" Beatrice said softly taking off her shoes. 

"I won't, I actually punched him in the face last night..." Emilia said confidential making Beatrice choke, "Are you crazy!?" Emilia folded her legs and braced herself. "You don't know his family, they are dangerous people, promise me you'll stay away from him" Beatrice pleaded as Emilia nodded her head.

The door opened and Edward entered advancing over to Emilia hugging her softly, "Is he your son?" Beatrice asked her eyes softening as Emilia shook her head in disbelief lying on her bed. "You alright Edward?" Emilia asked as Edwards's body had begun to fall.

His eyes heavy-lidded and closed from the intense need of sleep, carefully Emilia placed his body in her bed standing up to her window Emilia gazed out to the town of Small Heath, she knows she'll find out what really happened to her missing mother.

+

Meanwhile, in a pub, Michael sipped on a cup of whiskey while smoking a cigarette as he stared out of the window. "Michael, what are you looking at?" Isaiah said looking at his friend who seemed dazed almost in a trance.

"Nothing" Michael peeled his eyes away from the window assuring his suspicious friend. But the truth is Michael can't seem to shake off a familiar brown-haired dimpled girl who caught his attention since the day she punched him.

Now that Michael thinks of how he asked her out he doesn't even know if she's single or not, but the boy with her looked nothing like her at all, giving Michael a hope he could only cling on that'll she'll come and see him on Saturday at the cafe down the street.

"Are you sure?" Isaiah asked again seeing his friend's attention drift off as he pushed his cigarette onto an ashtray before swallowing the rest of the whiskey in his glass.

author's note: I can't believe I actually wrote a thousand words, congratulations me.