Chapter 24

Mitch's POV

I think Jerome knows.

What do I do?

It's currently New Year's Eve, two days after I took Jerome home. He's been so distant though, and I'm still so worried he found out. His turned back...

I could be imagining it all. Distance because he's tired or just wants to rest. Turned back because he rolled around while sleeping. He still loves me, and I still love him...

Right?

Let's be honest here. I don't know I feel, what to feel anymore. I don't want to break up with Jerome, far from it, but that kiss with Lia, I can't forget that either. I keep replaying the kiss I shared with Jerome, the one that sent electricity through my veins, and the one with Lia, unspoken feelings in the mix. I don't know which one to pick. No. I do. Jerome. Of course. He hasn't cheated. Hasn't broken my heart...

Maybe I broke his.

We'd planned for a quiet night in, no big parties. Jerome was fully recovered now, but neither of us were in a mood to party or stream, though I preferred that over everything else.

Jerome was sitting on his bed when I found him. He was holding a half-eaten sandwich in one hand and had mayonnaise smothered all over his face. As I entered, he put the sandwich down on a plate and snaked his tongue out to try lick it off. "You know, it's much easier touching my nose than licking it all off." He grinned, and I felt myself smile calmly. "Here." I said, sitting next to him and wiping it off with my thumb. Jerome watched me curiously, then crinkled his nose. I decided to get straight to the point. "Jerome, is it just me or have things gotten awkward in the last days?" I asked slowly, and Jerome bit his lip. "Well, I guess they have."

"Do you know why?" I probed, and his lip turned whiter. "Do you?" Jerome mimicked quietly, looking at me hopefully, but as I shook my head, he sighed. Dropping his sandwich on the plate, he looked at me sadly. "I'm taking this downstairs. Then I'll go for a walk. I don't feel hungry anymore." He mumbled, and walked out slowly. I watched him leave, sadness evading me. I felt so tempted to call out, I should call out, but...

I stood up and left his room, resolutely silent as the door slammed and the house fell quiet. So. What do I do now? What can I do now?

I ended up calling Ashley to record after pondering for a while, and we settled down. I grabbed my laptop randomly and started recording and she did too, before I started talking. "Hey Ash, can you help me with something?" I asked, and she groaned. "Mitch, you have me recording, really?"

"Oh yeah, sorry, but yeah."

"Ugh. Go for it."

"Okay, so uh, Lia kissed me and then I think Jerome saw and it's just been awkward between us and oh my, like, I'm so scared he'll do something idiotic if he does know, and I really love him but I'm too scared to talk to him about it and just, I'm so worried because I don't want to lose my best friend!" The words tumbled out in a rush but Ashley somehow managed to hear it all. "Tell him." All she said. I sighed, carefully picking my argument. "And what if he doesn't see it as... I'm scared he'll think it's my fault." I blurted, and Ashley took an exasperated breath. "Gosh Mitch, grow a pair! He loves you too much to not forgive you!" I laughed drily, then stopped as the doorbell rang, dropping it off in the lounge. I got the door, to find Lia

She was dressed in a tight top and skirt, clearly showing off. "Hey? What are you doing here?"

"Uh, can I come in?"

"Uh. Sure." I let her through and she sat in the lounge. Taking a seat away from her, she watched me with an interested air. "So Mitch, I wanted to talk..." She said slowly, and I glanced at my open laptop. She couldn't see the hidden screen.

I could.

All I saw was Ashley's face, screaming warning bells. I pointedly ignored her. "What about?" I asked politely, and she looked at me. "You know."

"Look, I don't think that's a good idea..." I started uneasily, but Lia wasn't listening. She idly picked at her nails for a few seconds before sliding closer to me. I watched her, like last time. "Look. I will only ask you this once. Do you still love me?" She asked breathily, and I took a deep breath. My eyes wandered from her face to a picture of Jerome and I, and then I knew the answer. "Yes." She leaned in, but then I stopped her. "Yes, I do, but I don't want you. I love Jerome more, and he's the one I want. All you've done is break and burn things, and I want no more in that. Sure, maybe I'll always love you, but I'll always love Jerome more, because he deserves my heart, and because he already has it." The words flew seamlessly out of my mouth, and Lia looked astounded. "I guess there's not much more to add to this then." She said, to no one in particular, before she turned and walked towards the door. I followed her. "I guess this is where we say goodbye then." She murmured, and I nodded. "Let's agree not to keep bad blood here, okay?" She nodded, then held her arms out for a hug. I accepted it, but then she turned. Her lips caught on mine.

Of course that was the exact moment it happened.

Jerome walked in.

Okay, the writers block that came with this was so bad >~< updates may be between 5-7 days now, depends :/

Amber

P.S. I have this thing about numbers and would love it if some people took the time to put votes into chapters 10 and 22. This won't affect updates, but I'd just prefer at least 10 votes on all chapters #Math