Chapter 29

Mitch's POV

It took a day for common sense to kick in.

24 hours.

Poop.

I didn't pack. Didn't message. Didn't nothing. Just posted a Hunger Games, and questioned the fact everyone didn't know we were dating yet. Only Ashley.

How far did I have to push boundaries? To the degree where they'd collapse altogether? Where Jerome would never look at me again?

The flowers had long since shriveled up. They die quick, just like everything else...

Shut up Mitch. Stop thinking like this!

Why? Why not be honest with myself?...

Because you're only lying...

Better than that bittersweet truth.

It was a game of angel and devil, one deciding against the other. The war raged in my head, and to block it out, I just roared and walked out, wallet ready. I had to go to Jerome. I had to. I wanted to. I needed to.

The flight was easy enough to get onto, but when it came to landing, I found myself hesitant to get off. Would he actually greet me with open arms, or would he turn his back, like I did?

I went and hired a black SUV, because damn I always wanted to drive one, and drove in the direction of Preston's house. I knew the car, had I not used the headlights in this darkness, would have been near invisible, but shrugged it off.

"One... three... five..." I muttered under my breath when I hit his road, until I got to his house. I walked out the car, took a deep breath, and knocked on the door.

Preston opened with his shocked face. "Mitch?"

"Uh. Hey Lava P!"

"What are you doing here?!"

"Don't question it?"

"I wanna. Why are you here right now?"

"Uh. Jerome here?"

"He left for Chipotle. Wha- what's going on with you two?" To tell or not to tell?... *insert villager noise/groan/hmmm* "We're kinda dating. I hope." Preston clucked, and I huffed impatiently. "Okay, so where can I find him?"

"He should be somewhere along the way to Chipotle. Now go get him!"

"Why? He's coming back, isn't he?" I asked, and Preston shook his head sadly. "You're killing my inner romantic. Go chase him! Show him you love him!" I rolled my eyes but obliged, and went back into my car.

The drive from there to Chipotle was less than ten minutes long, but the whole distance was far from unnecessary.

I spotted dark figures along the road five minutes in, and figured one must be Jerome.

Oh boy, was I right.

The light of the car washed onto them, and in the shock of the scene I was witnessing, I nearly ran them both over. My foot smashed the brakes at last second, and I parked the car and leapt out, landing mere metres away.

Jerome was struggling against a masked persons arm, and I could see the beads of blood on his neck. The person was muscled, dressed in dark clothes with mask over their face like all movie criminals. Typical.

The Chipotle was also on the floor, and I couldn't help feel that tiny pinch of regret that came with its waste. "What is going on?!" I yelled, and the person looked up in shock. Well... someone didn't anticipate an intervention.

They flashed a manical grin. "Your 'buddy' here didn't pay the.. 'welcome fee' and actually, I realised you haven't either, pretty boy. Just drop your wallet and phone on the floor and we should be all good here." He smiled, and I shook my head. "It's not my job to pay scum like you." He snarled a curse, and dug his blade every so slightly deeper, and Jerome let out a yelp of horror. Please. He mouthed. I sighed. "Hand me the blade." The man looked at me in such mocking surprise he almost dropped it anyway. "Pay your fines." I rolled my eyes dramatically, taking a slight step forward. "Please. You're about to kill my best friend, and when you do, all it takes is one punch to take you to jail. Why don't you just let me show you my way of dealing with this?" He looked at me. "And how do you intend on dealing with me?" The raw power surged as my muscles tensed, and I took a deep breath. "Oh, I don't kno- like this!" I snarled the last bit as I leapt, and felt the burst of adrenaline pump through me. My hand shoved his arm out of the way, causing him to drop the weapon... and Jerome. Jerome collapsed onto the floor, before standing up in a stance, ignoring the weak drips from his throat. The man didn't know where to go, and I took the time to throw in a punch to the gut, which Jerome followed with a knuckled hit to his cheekbone, reminiscent of the one he'd given me.

That was enough for him to run, and Jerome then let out a weak breath and fell to the floor. "Oh God Jerome! Are you okay?" I asked quickly as the loud footsteps took off, and Jerome bit his lip, then nodded. "Yeah. I'm okay. Better now that you're here." I shook my head. "God, you are just so cheesy."

"I guess you could call me a pizza then."

Well. Happy Birthday to Mitch and Jerome first of all, and don't forget Ashley! (Wow this isn't actually any of their birthdays but general time space okay don't judge.)

This chapter ending was such a disappointment.

I have actually got only two chapters left, and then we're done... seems not that long ago I started this fanfiction ^_^

Shine bright!

Amber