Chapter 10

It's good to be back! Thank you for waiting💝

Everyone looked at the radio like it had declared that the world is ending. They stood there staring at it and a moment later, the captain said,

"Wes, follow the ambulance, Kanawut go and investigate the scene, I'll stay here with these three and find out what is happening."

"Yes Cap," they answered and started moving.

The captain was there with the three guys frustrated by how the case was unfolding.

"Ok, I need to hear the story from you from the beginning. What happened?" He asked.

"On Friday," Per started but was interrupted,

"That is not the beginning." The captain said in disapproval and Per looked  away unable to confess his past sins. Lin took it upon himself to narrate the story from the beginning; from 10 years ago.

"We used to be friends," Lin started.

"Used to be!?" Rem looked at Lin not happy with his choice of words.

"Yeah used to be," Lin repeated tone  affirmative. He looked at the captain and continued, "we used to be a group of six friends in high school and we caused an accident."

"Describe it as it is. As far as I am concerned it was not an accident."

"It was not," Lin sighed. "We attacked a gay guy who had confessed to Mew and he almost died."

"What about Mew, did you guys really do that to him?"

"No we didn't do it to Mew. Believe us sir we didn't."

"Why is he insisting that you did?" The captain asked.

"I'm surprised too but I wouldn't do that to him." Lin justified, "I have gay friends and I wouldn't do that to any gay man now."

"So the boy in high school was the only one?"

"Yes he was the only one," Rem was quick to answer

"What about that one?" Lin reminded, "I heard he later committed suicide."

"WONT YOU JUST keep quiet?" Per scolded gritting his teeth.

Captain looked at them and shut his eyes for a minute. For some reason hearing that a kid committed suicide grazed his never drying scar. He put his mind in order and said, "look, if you want us to help you then you gotta spill whatever it is you're hiding."

"He was not gay." Rem confessed.

"Oh so you were not only homophobic but also outright bullies?" The picture of his boy came in his mind again and he clenched his fists.

"They were," Lin pointed out hesitantly

"You were part of the group remember," Per reminded.

"But I never took part,"

Rem stared at Lin unimpressed, "only Mew didn't take part. You were involved in everything."

"If Mew was not involved in everything then why is he being targeted as well?" The captain asked when everything just seemed out of place. The three men couldn't answer this question because they really didn't know.

The captain looked at them taking in all the information they had exchanged. There was now a high chance that there was someone out there on a revenge spree and Mew had somehow survived twice and his chances were running thin.

The captain waited for feedback from the other guys.

Outside the precinct, Kanawut talked to the security guard who had reported the accident but didn't get any information since he didn't see it happen. He just told him that two people were involved. He said he heard people screaming and the screeching of tires. When he came out, there was a man laying on the ground and the man in the truck seem to have gotten hurt too.

Kanawut looked at the scene and there was blood on the road just outside the station. He looked around and saw there was a stand and a lady was selling what looked like bracelets and necklaces. He sauntered over to the witness still looking around trying to make out what had happened.

"Good afternoon, how much are these bracelets?" He asked pointing at the two matching silver bracelets.

"Five a pair," she answered,

The detective reached out for his wallet from his pocket and got some bills. He picked up the bracelets and looked around some more; waiting.

"You have a good eye for nice things," the lady commented.

The detective smiled at that, the lady continued, "The bracelets you just picked symbolizes a good love."

"Good love? Is there such a thing as a good love?" His experiences had proved him wrong.

"Yes that's a love between friends, family or a lover."

That was all the love he knew and that was enough small talk, "did you by chance see what happened there?"

"Oh yes a young man was going inside but then a truck came out of no where and hit him. He flew with a loud cry and the landing was not pretty. He's lucky to have survived it."

"Why don't I see the truck?"

"It fled."

"Did you see the person's face? Or the number plate?"

"He was wearing a cap but he looked hurt too. The numbers of the truck was covered."

Kanawut held his waist in contemplation. Does it mean someone was after Mew's life for real? If so, it wasn't because of the bullying since he wasn't part of it. Could it be because of the reunion? The killer was targeting everyone who attended the reunion? That was the deduction that made sense from all the theories they came up with. 

He put his bracelets in his pocket and went back in the station. Upon arrival in the captain's office, he saw him holding a picture frame; the atmosphere melancholy. The leader put the picture frame back on his table  and cleared his throat and that was kanawut's cue to start his briefing.

"It was a hit and run and the witness didn't see the face or the number plates."

So basically they had no information about who caused the accident and it couldn't be these three so now they were looking for a suspect that they didn't know of.

It was crazy.

Kanawut was about to leave the captain's office when the captain said, "but why did he say it was his friends who attacked him when clearly it wasn't?"