Chapter 5

The two males waited. They saw doctors and nurses going up and down the hallway. It was at dawn that everything settled down. At last, a doctor came out to address them. They got up from where they were dozing on the bench and faced the man in the white coat.

"He was hanging by a thread all night and I'm glad to say he is going to be ok. He won't be able to wake up for a while, I can't give you an estimated time too we'll just wait and see."

Kanawut stepped closer and asked, "but he is going to be ok right?"

"Yes. He is going to be ok physically; mentally I'm not sure. He dealt with a lot of pain that he might be traumatized but we'll make that conclusion when he wakes up."

"Thank you Doc."

Kanawut was not pleased with the news. He turned to Wes and said, "I'll go and look for the suspects. I got some information from Mike and I forwarded it to your emails. The victim talked to a bunch of people a week before and there's something suspicious about it. I'll go and interview them, the suspect might come here please guard it well. Cap will be sending someone soon so you can rest."

"Sure. I'll stand guard here. Brief me when you find something."

"Will do."

That morning, it was Saturday,  Detective Kana scheduled an interview with Lin because he sent the message about the suspicious guys. They met at a coffee shop. The detective explained that Mew was found on the brim of death and he was investigating his phone records. He was holding back the urge to jump the man and make him pay for what they did to him ten years ago.

"So you last saw him on Friday night?" Kana asked scribbling down some notes in his small jotter. "Yes, we met for a reunion last Friday." Lin said this with a troubled face.

"What happened at the reunion? You also sent him a message telling him the guys were suspicious."

"So our friends are anti-LGBTQ+ and we had a discussion about the topic but he was for and the rest of the guys were against it."

"What were they talking about exactly? Can you please tell me in detail?"

"They just expressed their hate outright; you know the slurs and all that hate language."

"And what did he say?"

With a faint smile, Lin said, "He defended the community."

"Why did he defend it? Is he part of it?"

"I don't know. He might be he might not be."

"Why do the others hate it?"

Lin shifted in his chair, "We had a bad encounter with a gay boy ten years ago.

Detective Kanawut stopped writing at that. "Did you say you had a bad encounter?" He asked lifting his head, looking straight in Lin's eyes.

Lin nodded his head hesitantly.

"Unbelievable." Kanawut muttered, "What really happened ten years ago?"

"A gay boy confessed to Mew and the boys jumped him leaving him close to death."

Kana chuckled and said, "funny how you leave yourself out."

Confused by the comment, Lin looked intently at the detective, wondering if he knew already about what happened before.

"So now you guys repeated what you did to that gay boys ten years ago on Mew? Because you found out he is gay?"

Lin tilted his head and asked, "When you say you guys, does that include me?"

"Weren't you part of the group that jumped the innocent gay boy who confessed ten years ago?"

"I was but that was in the past and I already forgot about it."

Kanawut slammed his pen on the table feeling agitated, he opened one top button on his shirt, because he was suddenly feeling hot, "it was in the past?" He repeated his voice sounding so dangerous.

Startled by the detectives reaction Lin stammered, "I -I - I was part of it but I've changed."

"People don't change easily." Kanawut stated with a strong voice.

Lin felt the need to justify himself because he was getting scared of the detective, "I even have gay friends too. I've changed and the guys heard me talking with Mew about it before he left. Maybe that's why they assumed he is gay now."

Detective kanawut looked at the top of his book and saw the scribbled notes of injections, a baseball bat, paint, fishing line and knives.  He drew a question mark as he thought of why there were so many things used for the crime. 

"When you met last Friday, were you six?"

"Yes, how do you know?"

"I am the one asking questions here. What do you do for a living?"

With a small voice, Lin replied, "I'm a doctor."

Detective Kanawut raised his head and looked at Lin. There was a connection to the crime. "Where were you between 8-10 yesterday evening?"

"I was at home,"

"Who else was with you?"

"I was alone. I just got back from work in the afternoon and slept."

"Did anyone else see you between that period?"

"No,"

The detective wrote,

Lin-doctor- syringes/drugs (no alibi)

Lin realized then that he was in deep shit. "I'm not like that detective." He tried to explain.

"But you were," Kana said as he got up from his chair, closing his jotter and putting his pen in the inner pocket of his jacket.

"Did you talk to the other guys already?"

"No you were the first. Why?"

"How did you figure out the number of people at that reunion and I can't help but feel like you look familiar. Have we met before?"

"Oh yes we did. Let me refresh your memory. The last time we met I was in your friend's shoes and you were one of the homophobic bullies. But I guess it was in the past right?" He asked with a raised eyebrow and continued, "What to do? This one is still fresh. I'll be visiting you soon." He gave a disgusted smirk and he left. 

Lin was mind blown the moment he remembered him. His name used to be Gulf. They called him Gay-Gulf. The young innocent boy was not a boy anymore. He was a big boy and a detective at that. He couldn't help but feel like he really was in deep shit.