Chapter 12

Dazed by this new possibility, kanawut went back to the station and sat down with his captain.

The captain saw how troubled his man was but he gave him time. It was a moment later that Kanawut said, "what if Mew is the one killing people?" He asked his head bowed, his eyes focused on his shoes.

"We already thought of that but it's not making sense. I've decided to cross out Mew from the suspect list."

"Not yet." Kanawut replied hurriedly and that only surprised the captain who expertly asked, "Did you find something?"

"The nurse said he only has a broken ankle from his full body check up."

"Didn't he break many bones from last week? How come they didn't find more broken bones?" The captain expressed his doubts.

"Exactly." Kanawut agreed. "If he really had been close to death like what we were told last week then his injuries and broken bones should've been found during this check up."

The captain sighed. This case was really stressing. They were going in circles and now they have to wait for Mew to wake up again to get a statement.

"But suspecting Mew as the suspect has so many weaknesses too. He couldn't have killed Xu since he was in the hospital, he couldn't have killed Day since he was with you all night."

"What if he sneaked out of the hospital and sneaked out of my house."

"You think that's what's happening?"

"Yes."

The captain thought of a plan. "Let's set a bait then. Let's put a cam in his room and send these three home. Let it be just between you and Wes and I."

"How about just between you and I?" Kanawut compromised.

"You don't trust your partner?" The captain questioned with an eyebrow raised.

"If Mew sneaked out of the hospital to kill Xu then,

"Wes let him." The captain finished with a sigh

"We're considering every theory possible until we find our suspect." Kanawut said to alleviate the situation.

"Let's keep the possibility of another suspect out there we don't know about open." The captain added.

"Certainly." Kanawut answered as he received a small box with the live cam and a screen from the captain.

"I'll put this tonight and let them know we've sent these three home and see if he moves."

"Ok. Alert me when you find something."

"Yes sir." Kanawut left and dismissed the three guys.

"Wait you just want us to go?" Per stood up in protest,  "You guys don't care about our lives is that it?"

Kanawut looked at Per with an ofcourse I don't care hanging on the tip of his tongue. I mean considering what they did to him how can they expect him to care? A part of him agreed with what Wes said; that he was glad they were getting punished although he did not agree with the punishment being used. Dying was just too simple a punishment for them.

Lin got up too with a hesitant face, "Can't I just stay here tonight?"

"No can do." Kanawut replied, "go home please."

Rem slammed the desk next to him angry, "Aren't you guys supposed to be protecting us?"

"Maybe you should've led a proper life to begin with. Then we wouldn't be here doing all this. "

That left the three men speechless. They left the station begrudgingly and Kanawut had to go to the hospital to set up the cam.

He did so excellently after asking for some time alone with Mew. He told Wes about the three and how they were sent home. He left Wes on the watch and there was a policeman guarding the door as per protocols.

That night he didn't sleep a wink at his house. He sat on the monitor watching nurses go in and out. He watched Wes peek in after every visit.

All night Mew laid still on the hospital bed and it really seemed like he was hurt and the constant checkups from the nurses showed that maybe it was genuine.

Morning came and Kanawut had fallen asleep during his stakeout. He quickly looked back at the footage he missed and Mew did not once come out of the hospital room but that did not stop him from receiving a call notifying him that Rem had been murdered. He got up and left for the station and as soon as he got there it was not quiet. Per was throwing a fit and making a show.

"We asked you to protect us and you just dismissed us and now see what has happened. I want my friend back!!! It's your fault!"

He turned around and came face to face with kanawut. He lunged at him and grabbed his collar. The other detectives came quickly to dismantle his fists grabbing tight the detectives clothes. Lin was there dazed looking in space his mind trying to figure out what went wrong and when it all started.

Kanawut was speechless. It was his fault indeed. He had been certain about Mew being after his friends and he felt somewhat relieved when he saw him laying down all night but now he was certain another person was out there trying to kill the group of friends and this realization costed him a life.  Mew could've been a victim after all.

"What are you doing Kana go checkout the scene," The captain shouted from the door of his office.

Detective kanawut snapped out of it and he left despite the ongoing commotion by Per. When he got to the scene it was a mess. Again. Who ever was doing this was relentless and unforgiving.  Kanawut was a bit late because the forensics had already gotten there.

"Did you find anything?" He asked without exchanging greetings.

Joy from the forensics turned to the detective and said, "we found a bracelet."

Kanawut got excited. Finally this culprit left them evidence.

"Let's see." He couldn't hide the smile on his face.

The lady came closer with this camera pressing some buttons looking for the picture of the bracelet.

"Here it is," she said handing the camera to Kanawut who dropped the camera as soon as he saw the bracelet and it startled the people in the room.

He faltered and almost fell but the people held him before he could hit the ground.

It took him a moment and he weakly asked, "Did anyone from the station come here?"

"No we were the first to arrive. What's wrong? Why are you like this?" Joy asked worried.

"I need to see it." He was shaking. Struggling to get up.

"It has been sent to the lab for fingerprints and testing. Tell me what's wrong." She kept on asking.

"Send it to the station  first I need to confirm something." He ignored a curious Joy because he only cared about the evidence.

A phone call was made and the forensics diverted their route to the station instead of the lab but Kanawut needed to stop by somewhere first.

He had given two people the bracelets, Wes and Mew. He didn't get to sleep because he watched Mew all night so that left him with only one  person.

WES!