Chapter 16

Lin heard it from the news when he turned on the tv out of habit. He had stopped going to work because he was worried and scared. He couldn't concentrate working on patients in his state.

He sat in front of the tv listening carefully to what the reporter was saying. He felt bone chilling fear when he realized it was their story. A case of a serial killer on the lose, trying to kill a Group of friends. A picture of five people cane on the screen with only his face covered, four of the people were declare dead and one left. The reasons of killing was said to be revenge for them being homophobic and attacking and almost killing a gay man.

Lin started panicking. He had to come clean. He had to go and tell them what really happened or he could die without anyone knowing the truth. It was clear that he was next. He started looking around panicking, looking for some clothes to wear. He didn't feel safe in his apartment anymore. He left as soon as he could.

Meanwhile, more reporters carrying cameras flooded the entrance of the police station and Some tv stations with their cameras ready to roll, kept on peeking to see if they  can find any detective to give them a briefing. Whoever had tipped the police was so detailed.

The Chief was there in the briefing room seriously pissed off.

"What have you been doing when these people kept on dying? How come you turned them away when they wanted protection? I thought I could trust you with this but you've clearly shown me otherwise. I'm handing this case over to the Special Cases Unit (SCU)"

"But sir," the captain got up to protest,

"You should've updated me on the progress. Did I not tell you to do that the last I came here?"

"You did sir"

"So why-" he was interrupted when his phone went off.

"What? When?" He sighed, "ok let me find out what happened. My apologies."

Everyone in the briefing room new more scolding was  coming.

He sighed first.

He held his waist and eyes squinted for disapproval.

Slowly, voice laced with anger he asked, "you lost the only evidence?"

Before the captain could reply he screamed,

"UNBELIEVABLE!  I want your men off the case. That's final."

He marched out of the briefing room and the team was left speechless. Kanawut looked at his captain and Wes, eyes full of accusations, his mouth sewn shut. They were responsible for this. It was their mess. They had to do something, anything at all.

They all knew it was not going to end with only getting off the case. Losing evidence and turning victims who asked for protection was breaking their oath as policemen, as law enforcers. Kanawut was thinking it was going to end up with disciplinary procedures and pay cuts or suspension.

He was brought out of his head when he heard the captain shout his name.

"Kanawut!"

He glared at the man with displeasure.

"In my office."

He groaned and followed the man as the rest of the squad dispersed from the briefing room.

"How are you still calm after this?" he asked sitting down.

"If I am to go to the Chief right now and demand to be in charge of the case, what justification do we have?"

"We have evidence." Kanawut replied.

"A bracelet? Just the bracelet? You know it's not enough. We don't have anything."

"We have information." Kanawut stated.

"We have speculations." The captain countered.

"Captain!"

"What information do you have to prove Mew is behind all this." He asked seriously.

"Well, he is part of the group." Kanawut was not confident.

"So is Lin."

"He lied about his injuries from the beginning." Kanawut tried again,

"Do you have proof to show that he was lying?" The captain crushed his suggestions.

"Cap!"

"We don't have anything. If you want to make a fool of yourself go with whatever you have to the Chief and see if you'll come out still employed."

"But he sneaked out and killed-"

"The camera proved he did not and if he did then at one point you let him."

"The bracelet then,"

The captain brought out the bracelet from his drawers and placed it on his desk, "It has REM's blood only and no fingerprints."

"How can I trust you after all this?"

"I'm just telling you to choose your actions wisely."

A knock came on the door. "Detective Kanawut someone is here for you."

The door opened wide and kanawut saw an anxious Lin biting his fingers carrying a chrome notebook.

"To what do I owe this visit?" He asked coming out of the captain's office.

"I'm here to tell you the whole truth." Lin answered nervously.

"What truth?" Kanawut's forehead wrinkled with confusion.

"About what really happened ten years ago."