The Honeymoon Suite (end)

Reid

I looked at my moonlit reflection in the ocean water below. My toes threatened to graze the top of the small hushed waves as they dangled over the pier, but never quite reached.

My mind, the same mind that had been overloaded with seemingly thousands of distressing thoughts only 20 minutes ago, now could only think of one thing: that kiss.

Nolan kissed me after I'd convinced myself that the possibilities of ever receiving his kiss again were slim to none.

I knew the kiss was a distraction, and holy shit did it work.

I remember my body feeling as if it were buzzed. Nolan had continued to pull me into him, closer and closer, each time our lips moved together. It was as if the already closed distance of our bodies wasn't enough for him.

I remember feeling Nolan's tongue, and then growing dizzy.

Distraction or not, that was no ordinary kiss...

I craned my neck to look up at the full moon, it's light spread across the sky.

After my mom died, I went through a promiscuous phase. I was numb to most of the anxiety then, that and everything else, and had no issue getting with people I'd known for less than 5 minutes. Even women - though it came as no surprise that I never cared too much for my time with them...

My memory flashed back to my moment with Nolan, yet again.

...But not once have I ever been kissed like that.

I felt something cool nudge against my cheek and flinched away.

I looked up to see Nolan standing with a chilled water bottle in hand.

"Oh sorry, it's cold. Here, water," his voice was as soft as ever.

"Thanks," I took the water and sipped while Nolan sat down in the space next to me at the edge of the pier.

The silence between us lasted but a minute before we had both finally decided to speak up.

"About what I-"

"I'm really-"

Nolan chuckled lightly at us choosing to talk at the exact same time. I felt the crack of a smile as well.

"You go first," I waved my hand.

Nolan's gaze shifted to his lap where his thumbs were twirling anxiously. After a few seconds of this, seeming as though he figured out his words, Nolan spoke.

"I'm really, really, sorry about randomly kissing you like that... I didn't know what else to do to snap you out of it."

"It worked, didn't it?" I reasoned.

"Well, yeah, but still..." Nolan rubbed the back of his neck nervously, as he does.

I leaned back on my hands, letting the smallest crumb of confidence work it's way up.

"Do I seem like I have any complaints?"

Nolan's eye's widened as he turned his gaze back to his lap.

"...Glad to know you're feeling better," he shook his head with a small smile.

"I also wanna thank you for helping me when I was spiraling. I'd still be stuck in that bathroom if it weren't for you." I admitted.

"I didn't know about your social anxiety. Honestly, it kinda surprised me."

"Well, it's not exactly something I go around telling people," I shrugged.