Mint chip

Reid

With each stride I took, the previous chilly morning air transformed into the warm ocean salt filled atmosphere I wasn't used to.

I looked to where Nolan was skating beside me, a huge grin on his face. A grin that was soon paired with a determined set of eyes - this had turned into a race.

I was running at a full sprint while Nolan kicked his foot against the concrete beneath with all his power. He began to lean, maneuvering side to side, almost knocking into me.

"H-Hey! That's not fair!" I shouted, now behind him.

His chin peaked over his shoulder, laughing.

"Well it worked, didn't it!?" he yelled back, into the wind.

"Tch."

I came up with an idea.

"First one to reach the lamppost wins?" I challenged him.

Nolan nodded his head. His grin turned into a smirk, looking more determined than ever.

As soon as I reached it, I cut through the patch of grass, a straight shot to the flagpole. Nolan had to take 2 more turns to get there. I turned my sprint into a slow, leisurely jog.

"No!" I heard Nolan shout.

"Yes," I grinned, an almost evil tone lacing my voice as I stood next to the designated finish line.

Just as Nolan was approaching the flagpole, I reached out and poked the lamppost with my finger.  The metal was warm from the sun. I win.

Nolan stopped, kicking up his board.

"You and... your freakishly long legs...cheated," he spoke in between breaths, panting.

I grabbed one hand onto the pole, hanging as I swung around in a full circle.

"Well... it worked, didn't it?" I repeated his words from before, satisfaction written all over my face.

Nolan leaned over, propped against his board.

"I didn't know you could be so petty," he chuckled.

I walked over to him and leaned down, getting on his eye level.

"There's a lot of things you don't know about me," I lowered my voice.

Nolan's face gone visibly red, and he turned away, my guess is to try to hide it.

How can someone be so cute?

I ruffled his hair playfully, then put my hands in my pockets.

I looked over to the shop we were outside of.

"Want ice cream?" I asked.

Nolan's head perked up immediately, and before I knew it, we were walking into the ice cream parlor.

...He's like a child.

We ended up eating our ice creams on a bench outside of the shop, the ocean waves in perfect view.

Don't get me wrong, I've never liked the beach, but being here with Nolan... I couldn't think of anywhere else I'd be wanting to spend my time.

I peered over at him as he happily lounged back, eyes closed, soaking up the sun.