Can't go, my fish died

Reid

    "Sorry, Claire, I can't go. My head is killing me and I... no, that won't work."

    I paced in my room, trying to come up with an excuse to back out of the beach trip tomorrow.

    "Hey, I can't go to the beach tomorrow. My fish...died?"

    Dumbass.

    The whole thing was giving me anxiety. I'm homeschooled for a reason. Me being around people just doesn't work out. I panic and overthink everything I say. So usually I just don't say anything, which often gives people the wrong impression of me. That I'm stuck up, or feel I'm too good for them. When in reality, I'm just a wreck. This beach trip is going to end in me making a fool out of myself.

    I sat down in my chair, and began to spin when my phone pinged.

    It was a picture of Claire smiling over her already packed suitcase. My phone pinged again.

    "I'm so excited!!! Thank you so much for agreeing to come. We're gonna have so much fun! Best friend ever <3"

    Suddenly, I felt guilty. I can't back out of this, she would do it for me.

    I rolled my chair over to my window sill and rested my chin in the palm of my hand.

    Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to go out and get some fresh beach air. Maybe I'll even make friends.

    I looked over at the time, it was a little after noon.

    Which means...

I perked up when I saw him.

    The same boy rides his longboard down my street every weekend around noon.

    His black hair was always messy as it flew back from the speed he gained going down the hill. I could never get a good look at him, but I could tell he had soft features, and was physically fit. He was definitely cute. His ear buds were always plugged in, drowning out the sounds of the world with music. I wonder what he listened to?

    I shook my head forcing myself to stop fantasizing. He probably has loads of girls chasing after him, maybe even a girlfriend.

    I left my window and went back to my desk where I was determined to come up with an outline for my novel if it was the last thing I did.

Nolan

    I walked through my front door feeling the cool breeze of air conditioning replace the scorching heat from outside. I headed to my room where I propped my longboard up against the wall and simultaneously wiped the sweat from my brow. I sniffed my sweat soaked shirt and wrinkled my nose in disgust.

    Damn, I need a shower.

    I slipped into the shower and what started as a hum turned into me full on belting today's top hits.

    Did I style my shampooed hair into a mo-hawk?

    Maybe.

    Did I do a facemask after?

    Definitely.

    After feeling refreshed and clean, I had the sudden urge to draw something.

    I pulled out my drawing tablet and let my creativity take hold of the stylus. While drawing, I let my mind drift. I thought of life, memories, love...would I ever find love? I'm sure one day I will, right? Thinking of one day loving another person so much and offering them all I have, though it may not be much, made my heart swell... but it was also accompanied by a sense of loneliness. Every relationship I'd ever been in was never willing to give back even a fraction of the amount of support I gave to them, which usually ended up in me getting hurt...maybe someone will change that for me some day.

    I snapped out of my thoughts and took a look at my drawing. I was so deep in thought I hadn't realized not what, but who I was drawing.

    The bright green eyes, smooth fawn skin, perfect chestnut curls...

    My face burned red at the realization and I deleted the draft immediately.

    I had drawn the boy I saw at the store, Reid, without even realizing it.

    "Jesus..." I muttered.

    I raked my hand through my hair.

    I mean, it's not my fault the boy is a literal work of art. It's like he was asking to be drawn, right?

    I heard my phone ding and I groaned. I thought I turned that thing off.

    It was a text from Griffin.

    "Hey, bro! So I talked with Claire about the beach trip tomorrow and we decided the four of us would be cramped in my car, and her friend that's coming doesn't drive. So me and Claire can drive there together and you can pick up her friend?"

    I wasn't against it, I love meeting new people. Plus, we're going to be spending the week together so it'd be cool to get to know each other on the drive there.

    I texted him back that I was cool with it and he sent me the address.

    "Thanks, dude! I owe you one. Also, make sure to leave around 9 AM so we all get there at the same time."

I looked up at my surfboard standing in the corner and a smile tugged at my lips, excited to get back on the waves again.

Reid

    "Shit..."

    I ran my hand over my face, anxious.

    Claire just texted me that I'll be driving separate with Griffin's friend.

    The idea of sitting in a car with a complete stranger with uncomfortable forced small talk tied my stomach in knots.

    I texted Claire back.

    "I don't even know him! I don't even know if it even is a him!"

    She replied instantly.

    "It's a him, and Griffin says he's nice!"

    "What's his name?" I texted back.

    "Nolan."