Look At Me

Reid

    "Not now, Claire."

    I rubbed the towel through my hair.

    "He's important to you, isn't he?"

    I stopped.

    "...Please, just drop it." I pleaded.

    "Why?"

    "Because I ruined it."

    "Bullshit!" Her voice echoed throughout the spacious room.

    I threw down my towel, frustrated.

    "I messed up, Claire! I wouldn't be surprised if he hates me now."

    "What do you mean you messed up?"

    After an explanation of this morning's events with Nolan, Claire's face was buried in her hands. She sighed.

    "Reid... this looks kinda bad..."

    "I know."

    "Like you threw a tantrum because you couldn't get laid."

    "...I know," I cringed.

    Claire leaned back into the couch.

    "But, obviously, that's not what really happened."

    "Of course not! I just..." I trailed off.

    "Hm?" Claire hummed.

    "At first, I immediately thought he rejected me. I eventually realized that may not have been the case. That maybe he just wasn't ready yet... but by then I had already left... and I'm too embarrassed to say anything to him."

    I suddenly felt a sharp pain on the side of my head as Claire whacked me.

    "Ow??"

    "Quit the self-sabotage. You're ruining something that could be beautiful because you're scared. You're sending him all the wrong signals... you really are too awkward for your own good."

    "I know."

    I sat down on the bed.

    "So... what are you gonna do about it?" She asked.

    "I don't know if there's anything I can do. I must look like a total douchebag in his eyes now."

    I fell back onto the mattress and covered my face with my arm. Images of Nolan's beaming smile began filling my brain. The feeling of his kiss, the safety of his arms, the way his face turns bright red by the slightest tease, they all took over my thoughts.

    I really screwed up.

    "...You don't." Claire spoke up.

    "Huh?" I looked up from under my arm.

    "Nolan doesn't think you're a douchebag, I don't think he ever did."

    Claire walked over to the bed and flopped down, opposite of me. Her feet laid next to my head.
"Then again, I'm not Nolan, so I can't really speak on his feelings but... usually when you don't like someone, you don't say that person makes you happy."

    She poked the side of my head with her toe.

"Wait, did he really say that?" I questioned whilst shoving her foot away.