Chopsticks

Reid

Sushi? Why did it have to be sushi?

I looked up at Nolan across the table from me, he looked like he was about to pounce on his spicy tuna rolls.

He took his chopsticks and immediately started eating.

I looked down at my plate of simple California rolls, then to the chopsticks beside me.

What am I supposed to do? I've never used chopsticks before.

I looked back at Nolan and tried to copy his hands.

Nervously, I tried picking up the sushi roll. Except it immediately fell and broke apart on my plate. I bowed my head in embarrassment.

I heard Nolan let out a small laugh.

Damnit, he saw that?

"It's not my fault! I've never used chopsticks before so-"

Nolan shook his head.

"No, no, it's cute," he smiled at me.

My heart leaped in my chest. Was he flirting with me?

"Here..."

Nolan reached across the table, grabbed my chopsticks and placed them correctly in my hand.

"There! And then you just move your pointer finger to grab." He did the same and his chopsticks clinked together.

I looked back over to him, still embarrassed.

"Thanks..."

"Go on, try it," Nolan gestured to my food.

I looked down at my plate and to my surprise, I was able to pick up a roll and put it in my mouth. I was a little shocked by the flavor, it was pretty good.

As I chewed my food I noticed Nolan looking at me with a dopey grin on his face. I gave him a confused look.

He rested his chin on the palm of his hand.

"Y'know, if I knew you didn't know how to use chopsticks, I would've picked a different place for our first date."

My eyes widened and I gasped out of pure shock, causing me to start choking on my food.

Nolan quickly slid me a glass of water while I hacked the food out of my lungs as if I were dying. I took the water and gulped.

"Calm down, Reid. It was just a joke," Nolan chuckled.

That chuckle of his seems so innocent. How could he say something like that so easily? Was it really a joke? Were we on a date? No. No way.

I finally finished coughing up a lung, Nolan seemed to have found it amusing. I shot him a glare.

"Cheeky bastard."

His jaw dropped.

"What!? What did I do!?"

I pointed at him, "you know exactly what you did."