The last time

Reid

    I took a deep breath after settling into the passenger's seat of Nolan's van. The last time I sat here, things were so different. At the time I was just feeling surprised I met the cute boy who rode his skateboard through my neighborhood. Now, he's the guy I really like... and who I messed things up with. I want to fix things with Nolan, but every time I see his face I'm met with so much guilt and embarrassment I can't get a proper sentence out. Seeing him and not knowing if things will ever get better between us was agonizing. I knew I needed to take action, but that's easier said than done. I've never been in a situation like this before, I've never felt for someone in the way I do for Nolan. Until I met him, I'd never known one person could feel so safe. If I could just get over myself and say something rather than tormenting myself with him right in front of me...

    After putting his things in the back, Nolan opened the driver's door and sat down. My eyes immediately shot down to my lap.

    I was instantly reminded how enclosed a space vehicles could be. He was close enough that I could smell his shampoo, the same one I used back in the suite. I swallowed the lump in my throat. I'm such a coward.

    This ride is gonna hurt.

    Once we were on our way I was hoping Nolan would turn on the music, sing, and resume being his upbeat, bubbly self. Instead my ears were met with nothing but the low hum of the van's engine mixed with the quiet rush of the blowing AC.

    Nolan was focused, and noticeably serious. I wish he'd hum, or at least smile in my direction again; but I was painfully aware that due to my actions, those were nothing but lost hopes.

    I pulled my hood over my head and shifted to look out the window.

    Please fall asleep.

Nolan

    It wasn't long until I noticed my knuckles had turned white from gripping the steering wheel so hard. I couldn't help it, I was anxious, and being this close to Reid only fueled that anxiety.

    We were over halfway through our drive when I stole yet another glance of Reid. How many did that make it already, 20? His head was against the window, I could see his long eyelashes creating a shadow under his closed eyes in reflection in the glass. His lips were slightly parted as he slowly inhaled and exhaled his soft breath.

    I turned my eyes back to the road quickly, feeling the heat rise in my cheeks.

    How can someone look so beautiful in their sleep? It doesn't make sense!

    Every now and then, Reid would shift a little or sigh in his sleep.

    Was he dreaming?

    I frowned. What I wouldn't give to know what was going on inside of this guy's head.

     Since meeting Reid, I learned how it felt to get flustered by someone else's words, to feel nervous and self conscious around another person. Those feelings were all new to me, I'd always been outgoing and confident around other people without a single worry, but with Reid I found myself caring about how he thought of me, the way he'd say his words would make my face burn up and I'd get overwhelmingly embarrassed. As annoying as new-found feelings can be, I don't want them to stop. Not if it means I don't get to stay with him.

    Pretty soon we had pulled into the hotel's parking lot. I checked the name of the hotel first, just to be safe this time.

    'North Oceanfront Beach Hotel' the side of the building read.