Sunburn

Nolan

    Beach day. I could practically smell the ocean already. My heart skipped a beat thinking back to the memories of my fingertips gliding across the waves as I surfed.

    I threw my bags into the back of my van, followed by my longboard. Then finished tying off my surfboard to the hood. I gave it a nudge to make sure it was secure, then hopped in the front seat and made my way for Claire's friend's house. Who knows? Maybe she's a nice girl.

    I found myself pulling into one of the neighborhoods where I ride my longboard on weekends.

    House number 183... 183...

    I started mumbling the house numbers as I passed them, "179...181...183!"

    I pulled up in front of the mailbox and cut off the engine. Just as I was about to get out of the van to go knock, the front door opened.

    Whoever they were, they were wearing a black hoodie with the hood up, which covered their face. I rolled down the passenger window as they approached the side door.

    "Hey, I-"

    They took off their hood only to reveal the
same striking features I'd found myself gawking at only yesterday. The same ones I accidentally found myself drawing last night.

    Oh shit... Claire's friend was Reid. What do I do? He's right here, and looking at me, this time. No clothing rack to escape behind...

   ...I'm staring. Am I staring? He's not exactly saying anything either.

    I quickly realized that my mouth was hung open like an idiot, and my face felt like it was on fire.

    In an attempt to recover myself, I cleared my throat and spoke.

    "A-Are you Claire's friend?"

    Without bothering to part his lips to speak, he simply nodded his head.

    "Great... uh, let me take that for you."

    I got out of the van and offered my hand to take his bag. He seemed hesitant, but he handed it over to me by the straps.

    I unloaded his bag into the trunk, and just as he was about to get into the passenger seat, his eyes grew wide. He let go of the door handle and jogged back into his house.

    ...What!? What did I do? Did I say something wrong? Is he gonna come back? Is he-

    -Oh there he is.

    He reappeared shortly after with something in his hand. It looked like it might've been a picture frame.

    He met me at the tail of the van and tucked it away into his bag.

    "Sorry... I forgot something," he spoke, looking down.

    His voice ran just as deep and smooth as I remembered, but I could tell it lacked confidence.

    "It's cool, don't worry about it," I nudged him with my arm, then closed the trunk.

    We got into the van and my heart rate quickened as I realized we were in an enclosed space.

    As he buckled in his seat belt I took the opportunity to catch a glimpse of him.

    He was lean, and very tall. His long legs were almost cramped. The morning sun hit his face just right, highlighting his cheekbones and jawline. The metal of his lip ring gleamed.