"Congratulations, newly weds!"

Nolan

We'd been driving on the highway for a little over an hour, I peeked over next to me to see Reid peacefully sleeping with his head pressed against the window. I smiled.

There's no way I'm waking up that sleeping angel.

I couldn't use directions from my phone since it was dead - I never charge that stupid thing.

I found a gas station up ahead and ran inside to ask for directions. Walking in, I saw an older man standing behind the counter.

"Hi, I was hoping you could help me with some directions? I'm trying to get to North Oceanfront Beach."

"Ah, of course, I'm pretty sure I know the way. Let me write it down for you."

Reid

My eyes slowly opened as I woke up, my head leaned against the window. I looked over to the empty drivers seat. Where was Nolan?

I don't know which was more shocking, the fact that I'm on a road trip with 'hot longboard boy', or that I actually fell asleep - and around him, nonetheless. Normally my nerves and anxiety are so bad around other people the thought of relaxing is impossible, never mind falling asleep. Why not with him?

I watched as Nolan came out from the gas station and jogged up to the van. His wavy hair bounced with each stride. Something so simple was almost...cute.

"I didn't want to wake you up, so I went inside and got directions," he held up a slip of paper, looking proud.

"You can go back to sleep, I'll take it from here."

He's thoughtful. It made my chest feel warm.

"Thank you..." I mumbled.

I rubbed my eyes, sleepy, then yawned.

When I turned back to Nolan, his eyes had grown slightly wider and his "sunburn" had returned.

"What?"

"N-Nothing."

He started up the van, I closed my eyes, and thoughts began to fill my head.

There was something about Nolan. He had an innocence to him that I couldn't describe. We had only just met, but other than Claire, he's treated me with more kindness than anyone has in a long time. When we looked at me with his soft brown eyes, he felt...safe. Was that crazy to think of someone so new to me? I liked talking with him. Our conversations weren't the forced small talk I had feared so much. They were easy. They flowed. He answered my sarcasm with even more sarcasm, or he got flustered. Though I didn't mind when his face was painted a crimson red. I liked it actually. It's adorable.

How would he react if he knew I was gay? Would he be grossed out? Would he ever speak to me again?

Then a thought entered my mind.

What if he likes guys too?

I cringed, stopping myself from getting my hopes up.

I'll just sleep...

About an hour later I woke up to a soft voice and a gentle nudge on my shoulder.

"Hey, you up?"

"Mhm."

"We're here!"

I peeped an eye at Nolan, and sure enough, he was beaming a bright smile.

We got out, ready to grab our bags.

"So, you surf?" I asked him.

"Uh yeah, how'd you know that?"

I pointed to the giant ass surfboard strapped to the top of his van.

"I'm... so dumb," Nolan rubbed the back of his neck nervously, his face already a bright red.

I couldn't help but smile.

"Just a little. C'mon, let's go in."

We grabbed our bags and headed toward the hotel, but outside the door we saw two men in bathing suits. One of them was crying while the other hugged him. I looked to Nolan, who was looking at the men with sympathy in his eyes. The men were complete strangers, yet Nolan felt for them.

Just how big is this guys' heart?

As we entered the hotel we were hit with a cool blast of AC, and I noticed Nolan shiver beside me.

"...Here," without hesitating, I took off my hoodie and draped it around him.

Nolan looked surprised at the gesture as his cheeks had gone pink.

God he's so cute.

"Um... thank you," he gave me a small, embarrassed smile.

I adjusted the strap on my bag when Nolan's gaze shot to my hands.

Before I could even process what was happening, Nolan had taken my hand in his, looking at my fingertips where my nails were chewed down to their beds.

His hands were warm, and his touch was gentle. I was so shocked I could hardly move.

"You bite your nails?" He asked, my hand still in his.

"Y...Yeah."

Did I just stutter?

"You shouldn't do that, you might hurt yourself."

My heart was racing. He's just casually holding my fingertips, but physically touching him, even as little as this, is making it hard to think straight.

"Ri...Right..."

His eyes looked up at me. There was something about Nolan's eyes that just made me feel at ease. There was no judgement, no ulterior motives behind them. His gaze wasn't something I could put into words, but it made my stomach do somersaults.

How long have I been looking at him?

"Oh! You're here!"

The voice of the middle-aged woman behind the counter snapped me out of my trance. Nolan and I's heads turned towards her. Nolan dropped my hand, and to my surprise, I was... disappointed.

"We were afraid you weren't going to show!" The woman exclaimed.

Nolan leaned over to whisper.

"Is she talking to us?"

As she made her way towards us, the answer was clear.

"'Guess so."

She stopped in front of us and held out two room key cards.

"I've already checked you two in, your room number is on the card so you can just head up whenever you'd like!"

Nolan and I turned to each other immediately in confusion, and the woman headed back to her spot behind the desk.

"I guess Griffin already checked in?" Nolan mumbled.

I shrugged and we made our way up to our room.

"I guess this is it." Nolan slid in the key card, and when the light turned green and the door opened my heart nearly stopped.

Above the bed which was painted in rose petals, draped a banner.

"Congratulations, newly weds!"