Chapter 12

We dance in silence until the song is over and walk back, without looking at each other, to the table we started at to wait for Cinderella and Nicholas. Moments later Cinderella and Nicholas walk up to us, an awkward air between them.

"So how did it go?" I whisper to Cinderella.

"I don't think he's all that interested in me." She responds, embarrassed. "I think he has someone else in mind."

That can't be right, when we first met he seemed so interested in her and I don't think he's danced with anyone else since.

"Well, seeing as the next song is starting," William smirks. "Would I be so lucky as to have milady's next dance?" He bows to Cinderella who nods once again and takes his hand.

"What happened?" I ask exasperatedly. "I thought you wanted to meet Cinderella!"

"I change my mind," Nicholas mumbles. "I'm not interested in Cinderella anymore."

"But she's perfect for you! She's sweet and pretty!" I point out.

"Now who's being shallow?" he asks, regaining confidence by embarrassing me.

I start to panic as my eyes dart to the clock. It's almost 11 and neither of them are interested in each other. Is this my fault? What's going to happen if they don't get their happily ever after?

"I have to leave in an hour, it's almost 11:00 and I'm supposed to be home by 12:00." I sigh, disappointed that I've run out of time to accomplish my goal.

"Oh, you don't know?" Nicholas furrows his brow. "That clock is about an hour slow."

"Wait, what?" I gasp, the horrifying realization dawns on me. "I have to go, where's Cinderella?"

Prince Nicholas points to the center of the ballroom.

"Ugh, there's no way I'm going to get through that crowd!" I panic.

"I have an idea." Prince Nicholas holds out his hand. "May I have this dance?"

"But I don't know this- oh nevermind!" I grasp his hand tightly as I rush to he dance floor. "I don't actually know what I'm doing!" I half whisper-half yell in my panicked state of mind.

"It's fine, just follow my steps. Make a box motion when stepping and try to hit the counts." He instructs. "It's the most basic form of dancing."

"Gee, thanks for treating me like a child." I huff.

"What, would you rather we attempt the foxtrot?" He suggests.

"Nevermind!" I quickly retract what I said before. "I think I see her!" I bump into Cinderella, purposefully interrupting her dance with William. "Cinderella we have to go."

"But the clock says it's only 11:00ish." She protests.

"The clock is slow so come on!" I grab her arm and gently push through the crowd.

We hurry past the guards and down the stairs towards our carriage. I hear the faint sounds of someone calling my name in the distance but the sounds disappear as soon as we arrive at the shiny door of our carriage. We shuffle in and sit down as the carriage starts moving.

"I don't know if we'll make it in time, the carriage might disappear before we even get home!" Cinderella's voice sounds rushed and panicked.

"It's fine, worst case scenario is that we have to walk a little." I assure her.

The wind whips at our neatly done hair as we zoom past trees at full speed. Cinderella looks a little sad as she fiddles with the strands of hair that have come loose due to our recent frenzied activity.

"Did you have fun?" I ask gently.

She smiles, with a hint of sadness. "I had a lot of fun, if only it could have lasted a little longer."

"I know," I sigh. "I'm sorry there's a time limit on your happiness."

"That's not true!" She interjects with her tiny fists squeezed tight. "You make me more happy than any prince!" Her cheeks flush with embarrassment but she doesn't back down.

I gasp. "Really?" Smiling, I take her hands. "I'm so glad."

"Oh my gosh," I whisper. We didn't leave behind a glass slipper. "Give me your shoe," I demand.

"What? No, why?"

"There's no time to explain. Stop the carriage! Give me your shoe," I say. Everything feels like it's closing in on me.

Bong

Everything is closing in on me, the carriage is turning into a pumpkin again.

Bong

I snatch Cinderella's shoe and sprint to the palace steps.

Bong

Cinderella's eyes water, her face a mix of confusion and fear.

Bong

I grab Cinderella's hand and pull her into the woods next to the palace.

Bong

Our beautiful dresses are fading into rags again.

Bong

We both stumble over sticks and uneven earth.

Bong

I finally fall to the ground, defeated.

Bong

I realize I've just ruined Cinderella's night in every way.

Bong

I break down in tears.

Bong

Even though she could be mad, I feel Cinderella wrap her delicate arms around me.

Bong

I sob into her shoulder, unable to explain what's wrong.

Bong

We sit on the forest ground, in our regular clothes that are torn and muddy from our escape. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," I mutter. "I wish I could explain myself but-"

"You don't need to explain yourself, Violet, I'm sure whatever you were doing, you were doing it because you thought it would help me. You mean so much to me and I trust you." She smiles, her eyes glistening.

I sniffle, smile back weakly and say "Some day, I'll explain everything. I promise."

*Shout out to my little brother, today's his birthday. Love you bro.*