Chapter 47

"Violet? Where are you?" I hear Nicholas call from the house. I've been so wrapped up in my thoughts, who knows how long Nicky has been looking for me. "This better not be another prank, my heart cannot handle two in one day."

I stand up and walk towards his voice. "Don't worry, I won't prank you anymore," I say but I give him an exaggerated wink.

"Someday you're really going to die and I won't save you. What are you going to do then?" He's right, I don't want a boy-who-cried-wolf situation. I wonder if that's a fairytale. If it isn't then maybe Nicholas would know that story. Even fairytale creatures need stories too.

"I'm not worried. You'll always make sure I'm okay. Chase, maybe not, but you... you can't help it."

"You know me too well," he says, smiling.

"That's my job."

Jack calls our names from inside the house. "Come get dinner!"

Inside the small kitchen the table is set with four plain chairs around it, a cloth, a candle, and some cups and glasses. There's one fork, spoon, and knife at each place setting. Simple, just how I like it. Not confusing like at Miola's castle.

We all take a seat except for Jack's mom. "Are you not going to eat with us?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "I'm going next door to meet with some ladies who live nearby." She immediately turns around, grabs a wrapped dish, and leaves. At least she doesn't waste time on small talk. I wonder what she's like at what I assume to be the potluck she's on her way to. Does she just not want to talk to us because we're strangers or much younger than her or does she just not talk much in general?

"So where are you going next?" Jack asks.

I flinch, realizing I don't know the answers to the other two riddles. I forgot to think about them while searching for the golden egg. What were they again? The first is the prison of a slave. The second is an egg from which nothing will ever hatch. The third is a product of straw and a mule. We have the egg, what kind of prison are you able to carry though? Maybe a cage, like a bird cage? That wouldn't exactly line up with any fairy tales that well. What about, a product of straw and mule? Rapnuzels hair is said to be the color of straw right? Or... oh dear god I'm an idiot. Straw and mule, like Rumplestiltskin! A mule is a spinning wheel!

"Does anyone know about Rumpelstiltskin?" I question, snapping out of my train of thought.

"Kgh- A rumpled what now?" Jack chokes on some of his food.

Ah right, the whole point of that fairy tale is that nobody knows his name. What else was part of the fairy tale? There's a king who's son marries a commoner girl because of the rumor that she can turn straw into gold.

"Nevermind, have there been any rumors of straw turning to gold?" I ask.

Nicholas looks up from his food. "Actually, I heard about a prince who married a girl who can turn straw into gold by... I don't recall how she does it but she can."

My eyes light up at him mentioning this. Thank god we don't have to wander aimlessly. Chase sends Nicholas a glare as Nicholas smirks.

"Well you know, as a prince, it's one of the many things I have to know when keeping good relations with other countries." Nicholas states smugly while looking at me.

"Kgh- You're a what now?" Jack chokes once again and I'm starting to feel bad for him.

"Hahaha what a funny joke!" I laugh awkwardly while glaring at Nicholas who has shut his mouth. "Anyways, great, that's where we're headed next. What kingdom is it?"