Chapter 26

When I wake up it's the first time in weeks that I'm not just as exhausted as when I fell asleep. Maybe I finally feel rested because I took a nap yesterday or maybe it's because I'm comforted by the fact that Chase trusts me.

I roll out of bed and start getting dressed when I realize what today is. We're meeting Princess Miola today and the thought of it makes my stomach churn. I spend more time than usual getting ready, picking out the perfect dress and messing around with my hair until I'm satisfied.

When I get to the dining hall Nicholas and Chase are already there. Chase won't look me in the eye but Nicholas taps the seat next to him. "You look nice," he says.

My face turns slightly red. "Thanks, you too." I take in his neat blue suit that makes him look more toned than he actually is. "I know you're nervous but everything is going to be fine." I'm not quite sure what I mean by that but I want to reassure him. He's moving his food around rather than eating it and his smile quivers as if it's very hard for him to keep it on his face.

Breakfast is quick and we're on the road an hour later. Nicholas and I ride in the carriage alone because Chase volunteered to drive, probably to avoid me. We're still a few hours from the castle. I can see that the city is dense into the mountain where the palace lies but the farmland we travel through is peaceful. We pass beautiful meadows filled with brightly colored flowers that sway in the gentle breeze. Every once in a while we pass a quaint cottage or some cows feeding on the grass. I turn my head from the window to see Nicholas moving his hands around in quick, meaningless movements. I recognize this sign of anxiety because it's a habit I have too. "Do you want me to show you how to fold a paper crane?" I ask.

He nods. I folded him a crane about a week ago and he was very impressed. I pull out some paper and rip it into two perfect squares. I lead him through the steps, teaching him tricks I've figured out to make it easier and after two cranes he has it down. Each crane he makes quicker and better than the last. After a while the look of anxiety fades from his face, replaced by one of concentration, and he looks relieved to be putting his fidgetiness to good use.

As I stare out the window my mind begins to wander back to last night. I know it was hard for Chase to be so honest with me but I don't think he realizes how much it hurts me now that he's avoiding me. "Why is it illegal for a fairy and a human to marry?" I ask abruptly.

"That's kind of a long story but in the Book of Laws it says humans shouldn't taint their bloodline with fairy blood." He finishes another crane and throws it on the pile beside him.

"What's the long story?" I question, curious to find out more.

"Well, I've read several very old books that say King Mortimer made the anti-fairy laws centuries ago. He was the first king in history to segregate fairies from humans and he did it because he was afraid he would be overthrown. Apparently demi-fairies, half-human half fairies, are more powerful than purebred fairies." He pauses to concentrate on what he's doing and it gives me time to contemplate what he's just said. So Chase is magic and very powerful? Does he know how to use magic? Does Nicholas know? "Anyway, King Mortimer was afraid of the fairies taking over his kingdom so he built up an army before implementing the awful laws. Even strong fairies couldn't fight Mortimer and his military, some say because he used dark magic. After other kingdoms saw his success they copied him and the world has been broken since. When I'm king the first thing I'll do is change those laws."

"So that's why you want to be king so badly. That's why you're willing to marry a stranger," I say rather than ask. He nods to confirm. "Nicky, that's very honorable of you but I feel like you should wait until you're ready to get married."

"I can't Violet, this has gone on long enough. I wish it could be different but this is my duty and I've made up my mind." He has stopped folding so that he can look intensely into my eyes.

Slightly flustered by this sudden assertiveness I nod. "I understand."

We're still a few hours from the castle and the horses need a break so we get out of the carriage to walk for a bit. This trek isn't nearly as bad as the one through the forests because the scenery is so beautiful and there aren't many hills. As we walk Nicholas and I pick wild flowers that grow along the side of the road. During our lunch break an attendant helps weave them into my hair.

I see my reflection in the glass of the carriage and I almost don't recognize myself. My body is much more slender and graceful than when I first arrived in this world. Weeks of neglecting to eat and walking all day have made me shed several pounds. The light pink dress I'm wearing gives me a soft, innocent look which goes well with the crown of flowers that is braided into my hair. When I first came to this world my skin was so pale it was almost see through, as the original Violet never went outside. Now my face has a rosy glow to it and the girl who stares back at me is almost pretty.

Finally the farmlands begin to disappear and it's replaced with small towns that turn into bustling cities. We only drive on the main streets but I see poor children playing by the road and marketplaces similar to the one I met Chase in.

It's late afternoon when we arrive at the castle. We are welcomed by a flurry of guards and maids. Our own group of attendants are whisked away while Chase, Nicholas, and I are ushered into a sitting room as the royal family is notified of our presence. As we wait I brush the dust off my dress, straighten my hair, and squeeze Nicholas' hand reassuringly.

Finally it's time to meet Miola.