Chapter 21

"You two stay in here, I'll go check what it is." Nicholas stands up but Chase pushes him back down just as quickly.

"You have a kingdom to run." Chase insists. "I'll go check." He winces as he hears the familiar voice of a guard, screaming.

"You can't go out there!" I argue.

"Why not?" Chases quips. "Nicholas has a kingdom and you need to save your sister."

"I-" I try to protest but my words get caught in my throat. He's right, I can't risk it, but there's no way I can just let him go out there alone either. "Fine, but take this." I fish a dagger out of my bag and hand it to him.

He accepts it graciously and ducks through the doorway, immediately closing the door behind him. We still hear yelling and I grow increasingly worried.

"I'm going out." I mutter. My anxiety is only increasing and staying in the carriage makes me feel like a sitting duck.

"I'm going with you. There's no point in staying in here, if anything goes wrong then we will be captured easily." Nicholas adds.

We step out of the carriage to find guards fighting off hooded figures. Chase is farther away than the rest, and with the help of Harry, is fighting off a hooded figure that looks particularly skilled in combat. I am as impressed as I am fearful of the mysterious figure.

A hooded figure runs toward us, weapon drawn and a rope ready.

I push Nicholas out of the way and dodge his attack myself. Nicholas runs to help Chase as I try to fight the enemy in front of me.

It's no use, I'm not trained to fight but my opponent is clearly skilled in combat to some extent. I find myself tripping over a rock behind me as my opponent pushes me back. I fall on my butt and the hooded figure points their sword at my neck

I can feel my breath quickening as panic rises in me. This could be it but he's not attacking. Instead he pulls out a rope and ties my hands behind my back. I look to my left and find that Nicholas and Chase have been tied up as well. So have most of the guards.

The figure pulls off his hood to reveal a devilishly handsome face. I roll my eyes. Even bad guys are good looking in this fairytale world.

"Robin?" Chase whispers, aghast.

The mention of his name makes me flinch.

"Chase! Good to see you!" Robin says, motioning to one of the hooded figures behind him. The figure rushes over to Chase and undoes his ties. Robin helps him up and gives him a quick hug. "God, I haven't seen you since we robbed that old duke."

Chase chuckles. "Good to see you too. Hey, could you untie my friends?"

"You know I can't do that until you give me your money." Despite the fact that he's robbing us, he has a positive, friendly tone.

"Are you Robin Hood?" I ask, forgetting my worry for a second.

"Yeah, you've heard of me? Where?" He looks almost proud.

"Yeah, I heard rumors around town," I mutter, obviously not going to tell him I know him from a book and movie where he's portrayed as a literal fox.

"Is this your girlfriend?" Robin asks Chase.

I feel blood rush to my face a bit and I see Chase's face go as red as mine, if not redder. He looks at me before responding. "No, we're just friends. We're off to the mermaid kingdom."

"Wow, that's pretty far. What are you going all the way there for?"

Before Chase can respond Nicholas interrupts, clearly pissed. "Would you untie me and Violet first? Maybe you could catch up afterwards."