18

The atmosphere is chaotic, filled with shouts and blaring sirens and the rotor wash of a helicopter overhead.

Sarge is pushing through the crowd, breaking up the annoying gaggle of reporters to try and find out what happened.

"Hey, Anderson Cooper," he bellows at the male reporter with ash blond hair blocking his way. The reporter frowns.

"I'm not-"

"Yeah, do a one-eighty and take a hike." Sarge jabs his thumb over his shoulder. "All of you, move the perimeter back!"

"Move it back!"

"Where is he," sarge is demanding to know. "Where's Romano? I wanna talk to Romano ten minutes ago!"

"I'm over here, sir."

"Did you catch who did this?"

"We looked through the footage. Pizza guy was wearing a cap, but we put out a broadcast, we're running trace on everything we think he may have touch-"

"Okay, so no."

"Not yet, sir."

"How much C4 are we talking about?"

"Bomb squad said it was a pipe bomb made out of PVC and black powder."

"Beast!" Ken comes rushing up to us. "Sorry, Sarge, we've gotta go. Just got a call, there's been a shooting-"

Sarge stops me just as I'm about to take off after Ken.

"You know someone's trying to kill you, right?" He deadpans.

"Yessir."

He cocks a brow, staring expectantly at me for a beat before letting me go.

When I pull up to the scene, the RP is standing outside in her bathrobe, rubbing her shoulders and looking warily around in the dark.

"Five-sixteen, I'll be out with the female subject." I get out of the car and approach her.

It wasn't really clear from the initial call what was going on, sounded like a bullet flew in through the RP's window or something. She was frantic.

Someone was injured, and I can see EMS already with a man - probably the husband.

"Ma'am, you called?"

Her eyes are wide in the flashing strobes of light. 

"Boy, am I glad to see you guys." The RP is looking majorly shaken. I take out my notepad and pen, poised to start writing.

"I heard a... pop pop pop. Sounded like gunshots. Th-they cracked my window, come see. My husband and I were sitting down for dinner just inside!"

"Did you hear a car?"

"No, didn't see headlights either."

We find the bullets, see where they hit the garage frame, windowsill, and glass pane. Looks at first glance like a drive-by shooting. The last bullet just nicked the husband but he's bleeding profusely. CSI is already analyzing the bullets, the GSR, the blood splatter, trying to gauge the trajectory.

"Can't feel my left arm," the vic is wailing.

"We're cutting the circulation off; wanna keep that blood in there," the paramedic responds.

Flashes from the cameras and sirens light up the night; crime scene tape is promptly erected around the property.

"They ain't got no right to be in my hood while my girl and our baby are tryna sleep, you feel me?" The husband laments when his arm is all bandaged up.