19

Whenever I'm feeling too tired for the gym, I think about getting in a foot chase and losing, getting beaten to a pulp by some hulk who doesn't wanna go to jail that day. Every day, there's a chance I'll be fighting for my life or my partner's - that's a tremendous amount of responsibility I take very seriously. Which is why I'm here sweating it out at the gym once more.

Once I'm finished my workout, I head home.

Ciel was supposed to come home before me today but he had to stay late for office hours, so it's just me.

As I step up to my porch, I feel something sharp and thin pressing against my shin. I freeze instantly. Heart racing, I look down, careful not to move a muscle in my leg.

A trip wire.

I look to the left, see the canister, and my blood runs cold.

I close my eyes and steady my breathing.

Carefully, I take my phone out of my pocket and dial.

"Control, five-sixteen. You, uh... better get the bomb squad out here. Code three."

And then I just ... wait. Not moving an inch.

Bomb squad technicians show up fully encased in their protective suits.

One of them snips the wire with special bolt cutters.

"It's an M67 frag grenade in a can," he tells me as he works. "Pretty simple booby trap. Kill zone up to five meters."

"Tape it up."

"Alright, sir. Back up slowly. Might be more surprises."

Another officer in the black bomb squad uniform tries to herd me away once I'm free but I shrug him off, my anger mounting.

When I'm finally able to move, I sit slowly down on my porch, thinking. Looking around and seeing the frightened neighbours out on their porches, my heart sinks. I wish there was something I could do beyond apologizing for the danger I put them in.

I can hear the bomb squad guys milling around the place, checking it out.

"No sign of forced entry..."

They sweep the rest of the house for any more explosives.

Minutes later, a technician steps up in front of me.

"Okay! I safetied the device. I'll blow it and I'll send you what's left."

"Don't forget the trip wire knot."

"I'll send it in the package."

I nod, jaw clenched and hands balled into fists.

"Thank you."

Whoever's messing with me... If they're looking for a fight, they've found one.

I'm not afraid to die... Let's see if they are.

•••