Bonus Chapter 3

After I pick up my husband's dry-cleaning on my way back from a spinning class, Dario and I head to the park for a game of soccer. When we get there, we help set up the goalposts.

"Look at that guy; he's pretty ripped," I point out one of the men manning a barbecue for what looks like a firefighters' picnic. "His friend is sexy too but he needs to go back to the gym. It wouldn't take many visits to get him back in shape."

"Yeouch. That hurt me," Dario winces sympathetically.

"I'm too critical..." I bite my lip.

"No, I like that you're honest. Fuckin' savage, though."

I turn to him with my fingers curled like claws and growl.

When the teams have been picked and we're on opposite sides, Dario turns to me with a solemn look and says, low and serious, I have to win, like everything depends on it. Italians and their soccer...

"It's coming Rome," I grin.

"You got it, baby." He walks slowly onto the field with self-confidence and determination. His face plainly reads, I gotta win; I gotta have it. I think his attitude towards challenge is so sexy. There is no stopping him. And he will stop at nothing.

The game starts and Dario is his usual super competitive beast on the field. He is ruthless; he doesn't do anything halfway. Top of his league, always winning, always pushing the limits and taking it straight to the top. He and his team are pro.

Too bad I'm not on his team.

When he gets close, I reach out and grab his balls, distracting him and stealing the ball. His team goes ballistic.

"Cup check!"

"Foul!"

"Yo, what the fuuuuuck?!"

"Hey, I'm not complaining," Dario gasps.

"Nice balls," I grin slyly.

I'm not really a fair player. I blackmail him when he's winning in board games, too.

But rules are rules and I broke them. I have to sit on the sidelines for the rest of the game.

"Ciel, what were you thinking?" My angry teammates demand.

"I was thinking: nice balls. I will have to grab them."

It's actually alright, hanging out with the wives and girlfriends while the men play.

"I just find it tough, you know, cleaning him up after he gets hurt on duty," O'Donnell's wife Samantha murmurs. "It breaks my heart."

"Tell me about it," Dave's girlfriend echoes. "Then again, we know what we signed up for."

"Can't complain when he gets the risk bonuses..."

It must suck being on the sidelines. At least I'm not completely cut out of Dario's work life. We're kind of a justice power couple, since I work for the district attorney's office and Dario is a police sergeant. Lots of overlap in our day-to-day.

Humming my agreement, I pick at blades of grass and watch my husband take his shirt off. I know I'm not the only one watching that sexy, sweaty beast run.

His form is dignified and graceful, almost regal. I'm all awkward with my limbs askew.

I pick up my camera, which I've started bringing everywhere because life has gotten too beautiful for me not to capture every moment of it, and get a shot of Dario bouncing the soccer ball off his chest.