9

"Come on, Ciel, come over here." I can hear him scrambling to get up, trotting down the hallway to greet me as I lock the front door. I take him into my arms, nosing tenderly into his neck. "Give me a kiss hello." He obliges with a chaste kiss on my cheek.

Moments later I'm sitting on the couch and Ciel joins me, promptly sitting down on my lap like why not. Cocooned in my arms, he lifts a hand to stroke the side of my face and I catch it, kissing the inside of his wrist.

I grip his wrist gently, rubbing my thumb against his smooth skin, and start to tell him all about my day while we watch TV.

"...and so I'm reading the license plate," I recount softly, stroking Ciel's sweet-smelling hair while he lays curled on my lap like a proper kitten. "And it's coming back as stolen. So I figure, okay. Gonna stop and chat with him real quick, you know?"

Ciel smiles contently, snuggling further into me, and I stop for a second because my voice gets lodged in my throat.

God, this boy is so good for me.

I sigh, deciding that's enough for tonight. "Alright, time for bed."

Ciel goes into his bathroom to change into his new flannel pyjamas with cows on them. I leave him to it and go into the bathroom to brush my teeth.

When I come back, there's a Ciel-sized lump under my blankets. I carefully climb on the bed and lay on top of the lump, kissing where his head is.

"Did you take your vitamins?"

"Yes..."

"Come outta there, sweetheart."

"No."

Coy, demure little shit.

I start tickling him through the blankets he's cocooned in like a caterpillar.

"Stop," Ciel laughs, "let me go hahaaa, stop!"

I nuzzle his neck and he shrieks, that crystal clear peal of laughter filling the air. I manage to get his face exposed.

"Stoooppppp," he giggles, and I realize belatedly that my stubble must be tickling him.

Nougat comes up to us then and jumps on us both. This makes Ciel ten times more hyper. He loves that chipper puppy, and Ciel has become Nougat's favourite human.

Ciel pokes his head out from his blanket cocoon.

"Who's a good boy..."

He grins and throws his arms around my neck, rubbing his cheeks against my beard.

Getting up, I take off the cargo military pants I'm wearing, but make sure to put on a pair of sweatpants. I normally sleep in my underwear, but not anymore. It would be improper, what with Ciel insisting that my bed is his bed.

When I pull back the covers, Ciel is lying on his tummy. I lie down on my side next to him, head propped on one hand.

"Goodnight, beautiful."

Ciel smiles, but doesn't open his eyes.

I lean over to peck his cheek and Ciel flips over, pulling the blanket up over his face so only his eyes are exposed. Eyes shining, twinkling like stars in the dark room, he implores me wordlessly. And I oblige him, of course.

I kiss his temple, and then kiss slowly, gently, soft as a butterfly, all the way across his forehead to his other one. Ciel shivers and curls up closer beside me, nosing into my shoulder.

I switch off the bedside lamp.

•••