3

The new probie is a busty blonde in a rather distracting outfit. At first glance, I wouldn't have pinned her as the law enforcement type, but I don't stereotype.

"Hi there," I smile pleasantly. "I'm Dario."

"Miranda," my charge responds rather breathily.

I extend my hand and she grips it with unbridled enthusiasm. Chuckling, I reach up to scratch absently at the back of my neck.

"What's your full name," she implores me, my hand still trapped in a vice-like grip.

"Oh, um-"

"Dario Armani Romano," an irritating voice behind me supplies cheekily. "And totally single."

I scowl in annoyance at Ken, but he's too dense to take a hint.

Miranda's eyes take on a dreamy sheen, temporarily MIA as she processes the latest revelation, so I seize the opportunity to retract my hand.

"Mm, Italian?"

"Uh, yes."

"A genuine Roman gladiator," Ken grins roguishly, draping himself against me like one hundred percent the wingman I never asked for.

Shut up, Kenneth. He wilts a little under my scathing glower. "Well, kids, sorry to disappoint, but I've got my own charge to terrorize - I mean, train." He claps my back, anything-but-subtle. "Go get 'em tiger."

Luckily, most of our encounter appears to have gone way over my smitten charge's head. She's just staring at me with actual, visible foam forming at her mouth.

"So," I start, rubbing my hands together with sudden weariness. "I understand you're interested in becoming a police officer."

"Oh yeah, totally," Miranda is quick to affirm. "So, like, how old are you?"

I hold back a sigh as she twirls her hair around finger.

"Twenty-six," I bite out with a forced smile, "but let's try to keep the questions focused on my profession, okay?"

"That's - yeah, for sure."

"Awesome. Come on; we'll get started and I'll explain everything as I show you around."

Miranda follows me with her hands clasped before her. I know without needing to turn around that there are still hearts in her eyes.

"So you're, like, a police officer and a firefighter, right?"

"I'm a full-time cop and volunteer firefighter," I nod affirmatively. Police academy was two years, same with fire academy. I loved every minute. But it was challenging putting myself through both, there's no denying that. And of course I have to keep up training in both professions.

We pass beneath the NYPD emblem and Miranda audibly swoons.

"Oh, wow. So how do you make time for both?"

"These days my schedule is work for four days, then three days off. I patrol a beat for eight hours, work in the fire station for eight hours. Sleep for eight hours."

Miranda's horrified expression draws a chuckle from me.

"It's not that bad. I used to work in Cali. In Sunnyvale, California, all the firefighters are also auxiliary police officers and vice versa, and they typically alternate every two years. Here it's not as common. And it's usually six months on, six months off. But this works for me."

Miranda nods rapidly, drinking up my every word. I point out the rooms as we pass them.

"That's the department locker room, where some officers dress out-"