23

"Why did I just see Jeff walk out the doors?" I ask when I come in the next day.

"He's been sprung. We can't keep him without evidence," Tate replies.

Shit.

"Don't worry. Jeff has a shadow. Two of them, in fact." Through the window, she points out the detectives following him out into the street from a distance. "For his own good, really, because if he botched that assassination like we think he did, someone's coming back for their money soon."

Meanwhile, I've still got a case to work.

The missing girl's father says he has no idea where his daughter is but he suspects that it's the scumbag boyfriend his ex-wife is dating who's responsible for this. Neither he nor his ex-wife have any idea where the boyfriend is, but he says the boyfriend's brother is likely to be at the boxing ring this hour. They're close; the brother will know where he is.

We got a warrant to search the father's place. If the officers clear him, he'll be cut loose.

Meanwhile, I'm chasing down another man now.

"Please sign in," the guy behind the desk says without looking up when I enter the gym.

I flash my badge.

"Will this do?"

Heaving grunts and smacks fill the air, cloyed by the acrid stench of sweat.

"Jensen Castillo?" My voice echoes in the cavernous space.

"In a minute," he grunts with his back to us.

Well, I didn't wanna do this right here in the open, but...

I pull down the ropes and step into the ring.

"What's your problem?" He demands, turning around.

"Where's your brother, Jensen?"

He lunges at me, and I react lightning fast. My arms block his blows while my knee thrusts into his groin. He falls straight on his back in a perfect arc, landing with a thud on the mat, groaning and curling up into a ball.

"Dude, what the fuck-"

"Sorry, too many street fights," I sigh.

I escort him out of the gym, whimpering.

"You seen this man?" I hold up a picture.

"No, never."

"Well that's crap, 'cause DNA says different. He's your brother, dumbass. And I got an open kidnapping case he looks good for. Couple o' warrants out of Jersey, too."

"Okay, fine, he's my brother - but I haven't seen him in ages."

"You're bullshitting. And that's fine 'cause aiding and abetting a fugitive is a crime and I don't care; I got your address; I can canvas your place; I'll just send all the evidence to the DA with the-"

"Hey. I know my rights. You can't just randomly sack my place."

I turn around slowly, taking my shades off.

"You a lawyer, Jensen?" I query.

"N-No-"

"Well, you're gonna need a good one. Because that right there, thinking you can outsmart me? You are boxing way above your intellectual weight class."

•••