28

Today is the eagerly-anticipated payday, and the official commencement of our sting operation.

We've temporarily released our suspects from custody. In exchange for sentencing deals, they're going to help us bring down the mastermind behind all this. They will effectively be going undercover, pretending like they were never caught, and meeting the organizer of this whole charade for the rest of their promised money. They all got half upfront and now they're supposed to get the second half. Jeff is here, too, but I strongly suspect his reward will be a bullet through the head for botching the operation.

In fact, the whole thing screams shady. Why not give the workers the rest of their money in the mail like the first half? The mysterious organizer claims it's because we're on to them, but I think he just wants to deal with the loose ends in his plan, kill off anyone who could possibly be used to help bring him down.

It's going down at an abandoned warehouse next to a scrapyard. We're going in with SWAT to intercept the transaction and hopefully stop the mass murder of the contractees.

We're filing out, ready to go, when a hand lands on my shoulder, halting my progress.

"Not you, Romano."

I spin around to face the captain, incredulous.

"We're talking about Ciel here, cap! He's my boy-"

"You got a target on your back; you're not going anywhere until it's removed."

"So I'm under house arrest," I deadpan. That's absolutely ridiculous...

A pair of officers step up, flanking me on either side. I look from them to the captain. "You've gotta be kidding me. This is some kind of fucking joke-"

"I don't joke."

"I'll sign whatever I need to sign," I plead. "Release the city from all liability. I don't have any beneficiaries, anyway-"

"If they want you, you're our bargaining chip. There's a good chance that if you go in and they recognize you, all hell will break loose. I'm not taking that chance."

"But-"

"That being said, I never said I wanted you to stand down," Cap cuts in, clarifying. "You won't be going in, but I want you lead from here."

I blink, processing this for a moment, before nodding.

"Alright." That's the most he's going to yield.

"You'll be taking the lead from One P. P., and communicating with the SWAT commander on site. I've heard good things about your leadership; I want to see it myself."

Under normal circumstances, I would be thrilled. But circumstances are grim. We still haven't found Ciel, dead or alive, and I might lose more men today.

"Send the drone up. Get me wide angles, get me body cams."

Ken stays behind with me, and we take the control room to establish communication with the officers on the ground and start giving orders. We'll be able to watch the live feed through the cameras hooked up to the SWAT helmets.

Six guys in standard formation approach the building from behind with guns drawn.

"Alright, we're going in full package. Full breach and blow. On my go, we'll do gas, flash, dynamic entry. Marksman, take the roof. Watcher One, man communications. Watcher Two, Eagle is not seeing you, report."

"Eagle, this is Two. Checking my link." Moments later, I get his feed. "Watcher Two, in position."

"Watcher Three, do you have eyes on?"